 General / 22920
Re: Incorrect group posting [was RE: cartoonnetwork.com is having an online contest]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 03:44:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, Paul Davidson writes:
I know what you mean...the purpose of multiple newsgroups is to make it
*easier* for people to read what they want, not to divide things up so much
that you have to scour 74 different newsgroups to figure out where a post on
a "US-Canada Lego club meeting for selling and/or auctioning space lego"
might belong.

Hmm, now that's an interesting hypothetical post. By current rules, it would
seem that such a post should not be placed outside of lugnet.market.auction or
lugnet.org.au (currently the only two groups I'm aware of which specifically
welcome auction posts), or at least if the event was more clearly described as
"At our next meeting, we will have display tables for MOCs and will be holding
an auction." On the other hand, such a post is so clearly of local interest
(you presumably need to be there to bid, or even know what is up for auction)
that it really doesn't belong in lugnet.market.auction. Now if the club had a
lugnet.org.x.y.z group, clearly the club organizers could make such a post
(I would argue they could even if they hadn't actually had Todd mention that
auction posts are ok in their group since clearly the club leadership is the
final arbiter of what the group is used for [so long as it doesn't otherwise
violate the TOS for Lugnet]). But they should also be allowed to announce the
event to a reasonable set of .loc groups (if it's on a weekend, even nearby
states might be acceptable on the feeling that people might be willing to
drive, on the other hand, one could argue that events should rarely be
announced outside of one's lugnet.loc.country.state group [at least in many
parts of the US] since anyone who is potentially willing to travel to other
states probably is already reading those states groups [or at least probably
should be], I know I follow all the nearby states, plus the states my parents
live in).

Heaven forbid we use the word "auction" in lugnet.general
(whoops, just used it twice).

I certainly sometimes agree with that sentiment...

Frank