 General / 17707
Re: Scans of 1960's ads
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 14:54:51 GMT

Tore Eriksson wrote:

Matthew Miller wrote:

Tore Eriksson <tore.eriksson@mbox325.swipnet.se> wrote:
I hate to promote myself, but have you seen my scans of Lego ads?
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/4405/scans.htm

I get a 404 error from Geocities...

Me too - when I run Netscape 4.51, but it works fine in Explorer 5.0.
I have no explaination...
The direct picture links work fine in both browsers, though
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/4405/scans/lka_6038.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/4405/scans/lka_6045.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/4405/scans/lka_6047.jpg

Sorry,
/Tore

Thanks Tore!  I had your old site in my bookmarks, so now this is replacing
it.

One of the things I like about these old ads from Sweden is that they show
dates at the bottom (2 of 3 do).  One of the things I don't like about early
LEGO catalogs is that they don't show dates.  So these help date things.
These Swedish ads show (at the bottom) the "New" LEGO Building Idea Book #1
(Lego #238).  This was the first of the LEGO building idea books, and is a
collectors item.  It was produced in several languages (I know of German,
English, Swedish, Danish, Dutch and international -- the international
version was without words).  The English also might have come in two
versions - the UK English version, and the USA/Canada Samsonite versions.
Also for some of these languages there was an early version (before LEGO
wheels), and a later version (with wheels).

Anders Isaksson, who is also Swedish (I believe Tore and Anders live quite a
distance apart) has on his website a copy of the contents of this very book,
the 1960-61 version (no wheels - they came out in 1962 - with the 1962
version). Here it is:

http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/ideabook/index.htm

Also, I have to comment on the pictures of some of the sets from that time.
The small parts packs shown are from that period in LEGO when they produced
the nicest (artwork wise) parts packs (1958-65).  There are probably over 20
different pictures used on the boxtops of these packs.  Also the larger sets
of that era (#700/1, #700/3a) show some of this artistry.  IMHO, this 58-65
era produced the best boxtop artwork in LEGO history.  It is too bad that
these fine boxes are not shown in many of the catalogs of that period.  The
earlier catalogs (57-61)  tended to show only a copy of the completed
building that the sets could make.  The later catalogs (62-65) showed a side
view stack of these boxes (without a view of the boxtops).  I think that
this was one of the reasons why John DiRienzo wants to get a website
together with a picture of all of these old boxes.

Thanks again Tore!

Gary Istok