 General / 13807
Re: Attention Lego Group: Children don't like juniorization, either!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 02:32:04 GMT

Colin R Gutierrez wrote in message <3883CC9F.408@ultra.ccp.com>...
Last year while I was in the Lego aisle in Wal-Mart, I overheard this

conversation between a mother and her son:

Mother: (holding 1999 Spaceport set) "How about this one?"

Boy: (Takes box and looks at it, irritation evident in voice) "Nah,
it's got all these big pieces, you can't _build_ anything with 'em."

It's a reasonable observation, but I find it hard to take such kids
seriously when they then proceed to the next aisle and go bananas over the
one-piece molded-plastic CyberPowerMegaDemonPunisherZord. My guess is he
just didn't want the Lego set.

Where I live you can't easily get the 6456 Spaceport set anymore, when
compared to the rest of the 1999 line. It literally flew off the shelves. I
would say that the kids loved it.

I can remember when I saw this set. My eyes popped out of my head, and two
seconds later I was striding down to checkout with one under my arm. Gotta
hand it to TLC, their packaging is top-notch :-)  Seriously though, I really
like 6456 and I think it contains some of the "better"[1] juniorised pieces
(of course I've seen many others that I wouldn't use in a zillion years[2]).
And it looks cool and has tons of playability.
I have used many of its larger juniorised pieces in MOCs, and found that I
benefitted from their superior structural strength and lightness. "But
wouldn't it have been better to have conventional pieces do the same job?"
Well, not if my MOC falls apart from its own weight :-)

Perhaps, in some cases, not so much "juniorised" as "prefabricated". Hmmmm,
still sounds a bit derogatory.

Paul

[1] Your mileage may vary. What you like to build will certainly vary.
[2] I've thought of a couple of ways I'd like to use juniorised arches.
These, IMO, have got a bad rep mainly because TLC designs have used them in
ways that are either unimaginative (on tops of buildings) or just plain
crappy (X-wing landing gear).