 General / 13787
13786  |  13788
Subject:
Attention Lego Group: Children don't like juniorization, either!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 02:14:55 GMT

Last year while I was in the Lego aisle in Wal-Mart, I overheard this

conversation between a mother and her son:

Mother: (holding 1999 Spaceport set) "How about this one?"

Boy: (Takes box and looks at it, irritation evident in voice) "Nah,

it's got all these big pieces, you can't _build_ anything with 'em."

I didn't see what they left with, if anything, but I think the sentiment

was clear.  Children don't like juniorization any more than AFOLs do.

--Colin

Tobias Möller wrote:

But his parents would probably help him or build together with him.

My parents ( my fahter ) used to build big TECHNIC sets with me, but now I

can build them myself.

--Tobias

Tony Kilaras wrote:

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson writes:

Kids of today have grown up around nintendo games and action figures

So did I. There have always been many alternatives to Lego. When I was

younger, you had Star Wars, GI Joe, Atari and Matchbox cars.

You give a kid of today a 5571 giant truck or an 8880 supercar and say

here

are

the instructions and here are the bits. see if you can put it together. do

you

think that we would get a perfect 5571 or 8880? nope because the kid would

stop

and go play nintendo 64 or playstation or play with his new luke skywalker

action

figure or whatever.

the kids of thday have short attention spans and TLG knows

this. think about this:

if a kid got a 5571 for christmas and got bored with it rarther quickly,

which

kids might do then what is the kid going to do? they are going to complain

their parents, their parents will take the 5571 back and get a 6494 all in

one

police/fire station crappy juionerised set that the kid will be able to

put

together before they loose interest in it and then they can spend all day

driving

the fire truck or flying the police helicopter around the house. can you

pick

up a

8480 space shuttle and fly it around the house making wooshing noises? no,

thought not.

I strongly disagree. So then I take it that you think juniorization is

necessary?

The things that compete for kids time and attention today are the same ones

that have been around for at least 20 years. Yet, only recently has lego

started to do badly. Kids are not stupid. They see juniorization for what

it

is.
--