 General / 13864
Re: Attention Lego Group: Children don't like juniorization, either!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 18:18:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, Colin Gutierrez writes:
Paul Baulch wrote:

And it looks cool and has tons of playability.
I have used many of its larger juniorised pieces in MOCs, and found that I
benefitted from their superior structural strength and lightness. "But
wouldn't it have been better to have conventional pieces do the same job?"
Well, not if my MOC falls apart from its own weight :-)

       I can see where you're coming from but YOC's must be totally
different than mine.  Not only would most of my creations actually be _less_
structurally sound with juniorized pieces, many simply could not be built.
       For structural integrity, think of a 5h wall.  if it is built
with 1x3x5 bricks, each panel will not be connected to adjacent ones except
through the bottom (baseplate) and the top (A row of bricks, plates, or
a roof.  This wall would have several 5h "cracks" in it, not too
structurally sound.  In wall of staggered bricks, however, each brick is
interlaced in a solid structure and the vertical "cracks" are limited to
one brick in height.

Yes, on walls like that, staggered bricks would be better.  But look at this
set:  <http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/6000/6699/6699-01.html>
1xNx5 bricks would make it a whole lot more stable than stacked bricks.  On
short walls, pressure exertedfrom the side can easily punch the wall out.
These are the best circumstances to use the 5-tall bricks, as it makes the
building more sound.

Jeff