 Gaming / Starship / 100
Re: Rules Talk: JumpShip Ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 22:14:38 GMT

   Hi!

   If I may interject, as someone who's mulling over
   joining up (unless my lack of any actual Brick at
   the moment is an intent-killer) and has read the
   rules as a fresh outsider:

In lugnet.gaming.starship, John P. Henderson wrote:
In lugnet.gaming.starship, Richard Parsons wrote a bunch o' stuff.

Hmm.  Interesting thoughts.  I am happy with the direction of this discussion
thus far...

This way the true JumpDrive ships can flit about anywhere in a week.

So you are proposing a re-write of the previously stated rules on Full JumpShips
to reduce their travel time to one week per jump.

   This sounds fair.  Otherwise, no significant gain
   is made by true JumpShips that would warrant the
   use of an additional HQ slot unless conducting a
   full diagonal crossing of the Galaxy.  Just as
   they are expensive, they ought to be true strategic
   investments.

I would hope that there'd be precious few of these vessels about.

So long as we continue to say the Full JumpShip engine costs 1 Fast (HQ) slot
against propulsion, then any single player could never have more than five Full
JumpShips in their fleet at any one time.

...I am still concerned about the lack of restriction on Ferries, however, since
the 5 HQ limit does not prevent a player from designing a micro-fig scale
JumpShip and claiming that it is a Ferry large enough to carry all the other
ships in his fleet.  This scenario would pretty much make the propulsion
characteristic irrelevent.  (Of course, an SM can restrict the number of ships
from a single player within their own sector, so perhaps a giant fleet could
never actually be useful versus a single desitination.  This is the only
fail-safe I can think of against this scenario.)

   Ferries (or "tenders" as my High Guard-bent brain
   tends to think of them) were precisely the issue
   that I thought about as reading the rules and the
   NG discussions last night.  Carriers aren't such a
   concern because the fighter craft are clearly sub-
   ordinate, but the ferry is another matter.  I would
   tend to think that, given the rarity of true gate
   drives, that they would be "destabilized" if they
   increase by a great mass over their empty size.
   Those are precision instruments, after all, not
   enormous "public" JumpGates for which a gigantic
   warship is a tiny speck of mass that can be offset
   easily.  That right there would probably rule out
   ten..er, Ferries, because unlike a carrier that
   carries perhaps 8-10% of its mass as fighter craft
   (and those at all times) a tender would carry 60
   to 80 per cent of its mass as indepenedent and
   temporary ships.  Allowing ferry JumpShips ("GateShips?")
   would seem severely unbalancing unless a *further*
   cost were added (with concomitant complexity, yuck).
   I'd suggest close the door on Ferries with gating
   capability that can carry more than one pre-designated
   ship (like K-T drives in BattleTech's, well, "JumpShips").
   But, of course, as an outsider, feel free to tell
   me to go soak my head.  ;)

   I presume there is no classification or limit on
   "ship sizes"--that these are fully subsumed into
   the three-tier qualitative system?  (e.g., you can
   make that Death Star, but it's no better than any
   other HQ-stat in the galaxy, and just looks all the
   more ridiculous when it gets blown up by a flagship
   fighter?)

Ships with the lesser 'JumpGate Generator' type engines would have some more
strategic options, and could get about the large distances of the map more
speedily (max three weeks).  It would also mean that a ship using its
engines to create an adhoc exit gate would be isolated from JumpSpace for
three weeks until the engines recharged.

I do like the basic idea here.  But I am concerned with the complexity of how to
explain it.  I would rather keep the rules as simple as possible.  So a Medium
JumpShip (or whatever name we want to give it) has a choice between a three-week
jump between any two points, or a one-week jump as long as one of the two points
is an existing Gate?  Could work.  I think worrying about recharging times
before and after is an extra complexity we don't need in the rules.  Plus it
would add the requirement that the GM would then need to spend more time
tracking who is charged and who is not.  I'd rather leave recharge times out of
it, and just say that the recharge is included in the time required for the
given jump.  Otherwise, I like your revised proposal.

   Or, perhaps, have it require two weeks in JumpSpace,
   irrespective of destination.  That would still confer a
   benefit for the investment, without making it overpowering.

With the number of ships flying about, it would be too much work for the GM
(IMO) to actually roll on a chart for every ship.  But with JumpShips, and there
being never more than 5 per player, it would be easier to manage.  As current
GM, I would be willing to put together a chart especially catered to JumpSpace
travel.  The possibility of the unexpected actually would be yet another way to
prevent over-usage of JumpShips.

   If it can be made wieldy for the GM, then that sounds like
   a very neat idea.

...Another thought I just had is that perhaps, just maybe, a player could build
a super-JumpDrive by taking both a HQ and a MQ slot to have a ship that can jump
with perfect safety.  Or is that getting too complicated?

   Too complicated.  The unexpected is the spice of life!
   (Yes, you may remind me I said this should I jump into
   the heart of a blazing sun.)

And Hendo's trying to integrate the thinking with the propulsion tiers is
most laudable.

Thank you. :)   ...I have always liked the 3-tier system for describing things for this game.  I think one reason we left out discussing Jump rules for so long is that they did not fit in perfectly with the 3-tier (we had slow, medium, fast, and wait there's a fourth one!! ack!).  So, I came up with this latest plan of having them take up extra slots versus medium or fast.  ...The only other way to deal with it that I can think of would be to add a new characteristic of JumpAbility to each ship, but then things would just get messy (IMO).

   It's very easy to understand the basics.  I will
   of course have questions about the specifics in
   due time, but I'm not at all in doubt that I can
   grok the Way Things Are™.

   Time to break out the MLCAD...o je.

(joking...)
Aha! So your support to revamp the JumpShip rules is nothing more than a ploy to
make New Pacific the most profitable sector in the galaxy!  I knew it!

   This is a surprise how?  Arrr.

   all best

   LFB