 Gaming / Starship / 115
Re: Rules Talk: My take on JumpSpace
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2003 04:36:28 GMT

Hi everyone,

I'm preparing to join the game; should be ready real soon. As for all of the
latest discussion into the realms of Jump technology, here are my few cents
worth :)

Jump drives would be very large devices that require vast amounts of power.
Sorry Richard, but I imagine that they would have to remain uncharged when not
in use as the energy requirements are too phenomenal to just leave sitting there
(things such as power leakage, power coupling burn out, etc could cause
problems). I reckon that the drive would be powered up and fired once the Jump
vectors were calculated. Charging of the Jump drive would take a very long time,
during which only a small amount of power is left to operate essential systems
such as life support and navigation.

Sooooo in game terms I think a jump drive should be as follows:
- A jump drive allows one Jump to be made either into or out of JumpSpace.
- A Large Jump Drive would take one week to charge, medium two weeks and small
three weeks.
- The GM decides how many Large and Medium jump drives exist.
- JumpGates take one week to charge up for Jumping a ship.

- Small Jump Drives take one MQ slot.
- Medium Jump Drives take one HQ slot and GM allowance.
- Large Jump Drives take one HQ and one MQ slot and GM allowance.

- For every week in JumpSpace, the GM can decide random events that can happen
while navigating such a perilous environment ( ship can be heavily damaged).
- A JumpShip (such as JHK has) will feature some extra special unknown
technology that forms the entry and exit vectors in one big sweep, allowing both
jumps to be made in one week. Obviously there can only be one or two of these
that exist.

As for ferries I think they should be scrapped. If ships need to traverse
JumpSpace, let them use the Jump Gate system.

So what do you guys think of that?

Zac
---
Sawtooth Salvaging