 Gaming / Starship / 105
Re: Rules Talk: JumpShip Ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2003 18:34:13 GMT

(snipped all non-Hendo text)

   Oooh! A thread with colors, and HEY! .starship has over 100 posts now! :)

Oh, and Lindsay, as for lack of brick, ABS-related CAD are allowed. You may use any scale you like (mini-fig-, micro-, nano-, macro-, etc.). As for your interjections, every rule in this game was discussed publically and by whatever participants were interested at the time. The more who join the discussion the better (IMO), and if we reach an impass, we do what we did when first developing things: we vote. Just by showing up, your vote counts as much as anyone elses. :)

Yes. We are all treated as equals, except Hendo. :). He’s the Grand Galactic Mediator Dude. Make him mad and you’ll know it. :)

I agree completely.

Although I agree this could work, there is one small problem that we as a community may need to concern ourselves with: There is one player who registered a JumpShip several weeks ago. He wished to use it as a Ferry because one of his other “Ships” is actually an immobile base that can be towed, although he also uses it to carry a second ship. Because the concepts of JumpShips and Ferries had not been thoroughly discussed, I did open some topics up on the old board when he first registered (most of what was said I quoted in the first post of this thread). But no one ever said to the player that he could not go ahead with his plan. Thus, we already have a Ferry that is a JumpShip (currently following the old 3-week rule, but presumably it is a Full), and it can carry at least two ships. It recently carried two ships to the Outer Rim. Note, he is also only a few pics short of registering several more JumpShips...

This is the ship: http://www.valyance.com/starship/registry/ships.htm#Europa

When he joined, I did mention that his was the first and that it was kind of an experiment, so it might be reasonable to force some modification on him even after he has been playing for a bit. However, at the same time, I don’t want to offend people by changing the rules half-way through the game. If we want to limit Ferries by reducing their Jump ability or limiting how many ships they can carry, then we need to agree on any such change as a community. (Dave, if you are reading this, post to the old board with your thoughts if you can’t post here.)

Well, I have no problems with ferries with JumpDrives©. :), love doing that sign. IMO, as long as it doesn’t make the ship superior in a sector compared to another ship, it’s fine. I think the tier system of how it’s classified is fine, also. If you want a real fast ship, there has to be reprecussions(sp) and dangers. A cool danger would be a possible radiation leak everytime the engine is used. It’ll make it be so people who use the JumpShip won’t overdo it. Also, I also concur that allowing the GM to make a random action for every ship in the galaxy would be fair and should occur. I’d love to have a galactic action email saying that I’ve encountered a group of space pirates and kicked their butts.

Yup. Just a guide. When you look quickly at a ship’s stats you get a general idea of how it is constructed. You can see that its weak-point might be defenses, while its strong-point might be speed (or whatever). It doesn’t really mean that two ships with HQ in weapons are equally powerful (although it could mean that, depending on storytelling). Some players give ships weaker stats because they want a large fleet and the rules limit them. Other players give ships weaker stats just for fun, storytelling, or variety.

I use the tier system all the time, even for propulsion. I use the weapons part, along with the ship’s image of weapons, in battles. I’d calculate to see which ship has better weapons or which has more or something of that nature and then decide an outcome.

(big Hendo-snip)

I’ve snipped the rest because what you do with JumpSpace and JumpDrives impact me at all, and I like the decisions already. No need to comment.