 Gaming / Starship / 96
Re: Rules Talk: JumpShip Ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 14:54:31 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.starship, John P. Henderson wrote stuff.

Currently:

Basically, a JumpShip can move anywhere on the board in three weeks,
regardless of how far the target sector might be (excepting the next
rule below).  The three week span represents the time the engines must
charge up to make a jump into hyperspace (JumpSpace) and then another
jump out of hyperspace.

Proposedly:

Medium JumpShips use an engine design that functions in conjunction with
the existing JumpGates rather than completely on their own.  Whenever
used, these engines allow the ship to create an entry or an exit to or
from JumpSpace, but only one or the other for each jump.  The other end
of the jump must be at a JumpGate.  For example, if a JumpShip begins at
a JumpGate, it enters the JumpGate as any ship might, but while in
JumpSpace may activate its engines to exit JumpSpace anywhere else (not
just at another Gate).  Or, the ship might jump into JumpSpace from
anywhere, but then must exit only at a Gate.  The use of engines like
this takes three weeks.

I don't want to cruel my own proposals to the Glorious Galactic Grand Guarantor,
but (I do want to see good rules made that improve gameplay):

These two 'alternatives' are identical but for the arbitrary limitation that the
'medium' drive cannot be used to create two adhoc gates in a journey (despite
the engines obviously having the capacity to create either gate).

I guess I saw the distinction differently (and I am happy to accept,
erroneously).

I understood that the fast version enabled magically acquired jump engines
(there was one discovered in Spraw) to propel a vessel from anywhere to
anywhere, subject to worthy limitations in where you can turn up as previously
outlined, in just a week.  One week only.  My bad,  I hadn't cottoned to the 3
week transit time.  I had always assumed that the engines were kept primed, and
once discharged (by a journey) might need a recharge time.  It hadn't occurred
to me that one might carry them around cold and then charge them up.  These guys
really need to find out about batteries.  Have they not seen the Duracell ads?

:-)

In light of this mis-understanding on my part, perhaps the 'lesser' version I
envisaged makes more sense.  I proposed essentially the same thing as the fast
version, except that the engines would take 3 weeks to recharge from the effort
of creating a (single, entry or exit) gate.  In this way, a captain of a so
equipped ship could open a gate at will.  Once in what has been dubbed
'JumpSpace' (cool name) the captain might elect to exit via any of the existing
Jump Gates, built long before any of us were around.  His trip time for this
little exploit would be the one week, just as though he had entered the gate
system through a physical gate.  OR, he might decide to stay in JumpSpace, a
perilous place where one can easily become disoriented and lost if one stays too
long, for three weeks, to recharge his jump engines, and then use them to create
an exit gate where ever he felt like, subject to the same worthy rules on
destinations.

This way the true JumpDrive ships can flit about anywhere in a week.  I would
hope that there'd be precious few of these vessels about.

Ships with the lesser 'JumpGate Generator' type engines would have some more
strategic options, and could get about the large distances of the map more
speedily (max three weeks).  It would also mean that a ship using its engines to
create an adhoc exit gate would be isolated from JumpSpace for three weeks until
the engines recharged.

The perils of sitting around in scary and hard to navigate JumpSpace are managed
by the GM, who could choose to randomly damage ships sitting around in there too
long, or when they use their engines to create an adhoc exit gate, after being
too long in JumpSpace and having become inadvertantly confused, the GM might
choose to deposit them back into normal space nowhere near where they had
planned to be, and more or less wherever he felt like.

To those of you who find this vaguely familiar, yes this is exactly what I
lobbied for early on (with only partial success :-), and it is based
unapologetically and in a completely un-revenue raising and non-brand diluting
way, on Bablyon 5's jumpgate system (except that the writer, JMS, called it
hyperspace, I think, probably because Hendo was not there at the time to suggest
JumpSpace).

Sooooooooo, muse on.

And Hendo's trying to integrate the thinking with the propulsion tiers is most
laudable.

I for one would be entirely happy for jhk to be swanning about anywhere to
anywhere (developed sectors aside) at will, in weekly trips, and the rest of us
to have the opportunity to (come to New Pacific and, at great expense) acquire
Jump Engines that would us to access the Gate system more practically.

The New Pacific bit is a joke :-)

Well, half-joke, anyway ;-)

Richard
Still baldly going...