 Events / BrickFest / 624
Re: BrickFest 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 01:23:37 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Rick Hallman writes:
In lugnet.events.brickfest, Kai Brodersen writes:
Oh my, looks like there are going to be a lot of teens attending this year.
Maybe I should come out of the closet and come this year.......

Please Kai, don't come out of the closet. >:D

Oh thanks (I won't turn this into a full blown war ;)

All kidding aside, about Brickfest, I am in the process of gathering money
for a plane ticket down  here to Washington DC for the Friday and Saturday of
Brickfest. I would love to stay on Sunday, but I am leaving for the Smokey
Mountains that night at 6pm, so I will have to fly back after festivites end
on Saturday. If I come, I will be bringing all my current built MOCs: The
Coelocanth, DeathStalker, and some stuff I am working on. Other stuff I
would most likely bring is the posters that Kai Brodersen made up for the
Confusion'02 Sci-Fi show in Warren this past January.

Many commuter/domestic commuter airports there are.  Choose you will.
Bishop is a pretty good one to fly out of.

Down here as in Lansing--Detroit--Flint????  You will want to either call a
cab or airport shuttle from your house (unless your parents are going to
come out of the closet too and drive you).

Michlug is going.  Carpool with them IF you can't afford the plane tix.

Does anyone know how much it costs for a hotel during Brickfest? I already
know my tripcost will be over 300 USD, because checking Expedia, Travelocity
and other travel sites show a ticket-cost at $250ish. Is thier a maximum
size for a package on a plane? Or do you have to have a fee for the larger
the package? The Deathstalker is quite large :\. I really hope to be there
this year.

Oh BTW, most hotels will not let children under 18 stay, IIRC, without a
parent or some responsible adult to keep watch.

It looks like the Sheraton Premiere at Tysons Corner has a rate of $69 but
thats per night.  But thats about 20 minutes out of D.C.  The more you go
towards D.C. the higher the costs.

Also the Hilton Alexandria has rooms for those dates at $79.  I think
BrickFest is being held somewhere in Alexadria.  There is always the subway
and buses if you don't have a car.

No offense, I take it you have never flown on an airplane/been to an airport?
There is a "carry-on" size limit its about the size of a big laptop+carrying
bag.  If you are going to transport LEGOS, you should beware.  The security
might make you take apart your model to make sure that no explosives,
illegal or sharp objects are in it(they might get a little springy on you
because LEGOs can sometimes be sharp).  Beware also that with a carry-on you
will need to store it underneath you seat in a horizontal position.

A checked bag is even worse.  One will need to wrap the LEGO model in foam
or bubble wrap to be sure that they will not fall apart.  One will also want
to make sure the model is in a bag as the bag will flip, turn, and jostle
the whole way there, and loose LEGO parts could become damages or even
escape from the bag.

The best bet is to carpool.  Flying will be a major pain as they will not be
very fruggle on security as the have been in the past.  From my post 9-11
flight expiriences, nothing goes unchecked.  Laptops are taken apart (drives
out, everything unplugged), and made sure they work, and so on.  They will
probably want you to disassemble the model as some x-rays might not work
with ABS.

As for buying a plane ticket.  You will probably want to go on a commuter
flight(if you can book it, depends on restrictions).  They will be a lot
cheaper.  Try cheaptickets.com or the airline's website (which usually have
cheaper rates than the expedia.com and such mainstream).

Just another thought.

Maybe I do come in handy after all ;),
Kai

Wish me luck on the job-front.