 Events / BrickFest / 616
Re: BrickFest 2002 "Gathering" Ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:18:07 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Wilson Raska writes:
Cool, 90%'s a pretty good chance, eh?  I, for one, don't plan on being
square.  My dad and I are driving over, so I can bring one of my big MOCs.
(I should probably start buying some Roughnecks.)

Heh, if I knew what a Roughneck was I'd probably understand :-)

Yeah, 90% is a pretty good chance. My tests should be over by then,
definitely, so things are looking up.

I agree, the display and activities in the castle room last year were great!
As far as the location of the "gathering" (which I think would be cool to do
again, BTW), I'm going to be bringing a large MOC that's located on the IOM,
and I think Pawel is still planning on bringing his Blut'Ader city (I'm not
sure on this, correct me if I'm wrong Pawel), so we could host a gathering
in pretty much anyone's large MOC.  I don't know if it'd have to be as
elaborate and fancy as Jeff's Meeting Hall last year, but it'd be fun to try
something new.

Oooh, a large MOC on IOM? I'm intruiged :-)

I was thinking we should plan our actions better this year. I recommend
considering planning a modular display, with each of us bringing mostly
pre-assembled sections, rather than just "winging it" like we did last year.
If we could draw up a map and divide it into sections, we'd know what's
coming at us.

I think a 4x4 section map would be reasonable (16 people) - or perhaps an
8x8 with smaller sections, and each of us bringing a few sections. I am even
thinking to try some landscaping on the modules and coordinate this so that
the sections will integrate seamlessly.

E.g. I bring section 3, a 48x48 piece:

1  2  3  4
5  6  7  8     N
9 10 11 12   W + E
13 14 15 16     S

(The total map in this example is 192x192 bricks - not huge, but not shabby
at all!)

I discuss my secion with Wilson (section 2 in the example) and decide that
our border will be 5 bricks high in the "north" end, gradually decreasing to
4 bricks high in the south end. The border will be tan. It doesn't matter if
the slope decreases in different spaces: we can remedy that on the spot.
Then I talk to Chris (section 7) and decide our border'll range from 4
bricks high (west end) to 3 (east), and will be mostly green (except tan on
the west end of our border). And so on, and so on.... preferably the
discussion is public, and the map agreed on by all, so that we can plan well.

The bottom two bricks of every border will be reserved for connections (we
should standardize them somehow: e.g. a technic hole every 6 bricks, or
something like that).

How does that sound?

-Shiri