 Events / BrickFest / 460
  Two things I inferred from Brad's talk at Brickfest

As the subject says, these are inferences, not direct quotes. But I have given references to why I think my "read between the lines" statements are accurate. 1. The adult fan community is probably not as important as we like to think we are. Brad (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Two things I inferred from Brad's talk at Brickfest

Just a quick correction here, Greg, I believe Brad said that the 2 million club members were "children" whether or not the adults were lumped into a different category or not, I don't know, but that's what I inferred, myself, by the way it was (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Two things I inferred from Brad's talk at Brickfest

(...) OK this is driving me *crazy*. This is the second referance to the Guarded Inn being in the S@H catalog. Can someone provide a referance? I am sitting with my copy of the Summer 2001 S@H Catalog and see no referance to the Guarded Inn. Was (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Two things I inferred from Brad's talk at Brickfest

(...) Wait! I'm psychic! Let me guess...you're S@H catalog has Bionicle on the cover...right? That version of the catalog doesn't have the 10000 GI in it...only the version with the train cover (where it's on page 3). Although, the S@H catalog and (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Two things I inferred from Brad's talk at Brickfest

(...) Well that answers my other question about the statement that the Train Bridge was on the cover because it wasn't. Was this some last minute change to the catalog? Was anything official said about there being 2 versions of the catalog? I don't (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Two things I inferred from Brad's talk at Brickfest

(...) you asked, here you go. from what i understand, there was 2 sum 2001 catalogs this year... my house only got the train one, not the bionicle one. here's the front page (300k): (URL) the 10000 set on page 3 (also 300k): (URL) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Two things I inferred from Brad's talk at Brickfest

(...) I received the S@H catalog with the Bionicle picture on it, and there is no Guarded Inn inside it, but the funny thing is that on the back, where my name and address is printed, there is a little blurb telling me to check out the Guarded Inn (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Two things I inferred from Brad's talk at Brickfest

(...) I don't think your above inference is necessarily true. Hmm, I would think that would mean more adults are buying them who do not post here, and more are buying them who do not buy online. (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Two things I inferred from Brad's talk at Brickfest

(...) I don't really understand this whole "kids these days grow up fast and go to video games, bypassing action figures and lego sets" thing. I doubt kids are growing up any faster than before. Growing up in the 80s, I had my video games as well as (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Two things I inferred from Brad's talk at Brickfest

(...) If Lego is moving its line in the direction of juniorization with more playability and less construction (not polar opposites, mind you), what will differentiate its products from, say, Fisher Price's Everyday Heros line? (especially when the (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Two things I inferred from Brad's talk at Brickfest

(...) I think Brad was pretty clear that we were a small (but important) segment of his market. One thing he mentioned is that in something like 7 of 8 Shop at Home calls they could hear the kid in the background directing the parent as to which (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Two things I inferred from Brad's talk at Brickfest

(...) I would say definitely so. Brad articulated that the reasons for juniorization were twofold: - the changing kids of today (but not all kids) - the lack of a bridge from Duplo to System He also made it clear that their sales analysis suggested (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Two things I inferred from Brad's talk at Brickfest

(...) What came across loud and clear is that sales to us are a very small minority. We alone are not enough to make or brake the projections for a specific set. We alone are not worth justifying creation of a new set, service pack, or bulk (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Two things I inferred from Brad's talk at Brickfest

(...) Except when you realize that the kind of things we want sell much better than the things their marketing dept. want's to sell. They shouldn't make sets the way we want them because we want to buy them, but because that's what most parents and (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Two things I inferred from Brad's talk at Brickfest

(...) While on the hole I agree with you. I wonder what you have to back up your statement that "the kind of things we want sell much better that the things their marketing dept. want's to sell"? Was something said at Brickfest that gave you this (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Two things I inferred from Brad's talk at Brickfest

(...) That's why I used the phrase "we alone". If others want it -- not just us -- I think they'll do it [make the set, bulk pack, whatever]. But as for the comment that what we want sells better than the other stuff, I didn't hear that at all in (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Two things I inferred from Brad's talk at Brickfest

(...) Remember the comment about the Guarded Inn? Orders from "kids" vastly outnumbered orders from "adults" once the S@H catalog hit the streets. WRT juniorization, the prevailing argument is that it targets the 4-7 age range with easy to build, (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Two things I inferred from Brad's talk at Brickfest

(...) That only shows that on this specific set, the rest of the enthusiasts and us have the same opinion. And I think Lego anticipated that, or else they wouldn't have re-released the set. It doesn't show that it's selling better than the other (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Two things I inferred from Brad's talk at Brickfest

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Greg Kramer writes: <snip> (...) OK, so what happens with 10001 and 10002 ? They have missed the (current) catalog mailing. WIll they get a bump from the S@H online store, or will they get 'bumped' when the next catalog (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Two things I inferred from Brad's talk at Brickfest

(...) Oddly, I got the copy with the Guarded Inn in it after I ordered a pair of inns. The summer catalog I got today along with my Inns (yippie!) is the version, ironically, without the Inn. I was idly looking at the catalog scratching my head as (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego.direct)