 Events / 1158
Re: Australian Brickfest? 2005 - Survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.events, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:33:26 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Melody Brown wrote:
RE: An Australian Brickfest type event for the year 2005.

Hi all, To help things move along, I thought it might be a good idea and some
fun for all interested, to answer the below... (copy and paste the following
questions)

Thought I should join in :)

Where are you from?

Melbourne

What is your occupation and who do you work for?

I.T. trainer...contract

What should Australia’s first larger private/public event/show/convention/fest
etc be called? (Please, only three choices).

Lego down under...oh, wait a minute...Isn't there a shop on bricklink with that
name? [though if it was to get the name I could always re-brand the
store.(shameless plug)]
Leg-Oz

Where should the event be held?
• Melbourne
• Sydney
• Adelaide
• Perth
• Brisbane
• Other?

Melbourne (I probably won't be in a position to travel much from late 2004)
Otherwise Hobart (It's a good excuse to head to Tassie again :) )

When should it take place?
• During School Holidays?
• After School Holidays?
• June long weekend?
• Early 2005?
• Late 2005?
• 2006?
• Other

early-mid 2005?

During school holiday would be best from public attendance point of view, while
during a major international event in the host city would be good from an
international attendance point of view (Hence the Melbourne preference :) )

March 2006 in Melbourne would be good for the 1st or 2nd event with the
Commonwealth games.

How many days should the event take place over? Answering that, how many days
would you attend the event?

Probably 3 days would be best (plus 1 or more to set up and 1 or so to pack up.)

If in Melbourne, all, otherwise depends on venue and what "she who must be
obeyed" has to say on the matter.

Should there be an entry fee/ticket and how much should the fee/ticket cost? How
much would you be willing to pay?

Entry...free or gold coin donation (would depend on sponsorship from LEGO and
the like, and venue costs) for the public

HOWEVER, for those wanting to attend any "seminars" and the like, maybe a higher
cost to cover name badges, prizes etc.

ALSO, maybe have a small entry fee for building competitions and the like.

How many people do you think would attend such an event?
• Less than 30
• 30
• 50 or more
• 100
• Hundreds
• Other

Hopefully hundreds and more...realistically would depend on promotion,
advertising and the like...IF we can get LEGO behind it, there's no reason we
couldn't get advertising in WORLD CLUB magazines, (speaking of which, the March
one is a tad late...) possible in-box or in-store flyers, or even radio\telly
ads...in addition to the LEGO website.

Would you prefer it if the LEGO group/company were involved or would you prefer
for them not to be?

Yes :)

I'd prefer them to join in...even if they don't have Aus only exclusives :(
After all, they're in the best position to both promote and gain from this sort
of event. (they win with more interest in LEGO and hance more sales.)

Would you like to help organise it? If so how would you like to participate?

I'd be happy to help organise irrespective of venue...In fact I've had contact
with some interested parties, including one who could potentially sponsor a
competition...

Would you want it to attract others from other nations?

Of course...It'd bring in more flubber :) [1]

How could/would the event be better than what other events around the world have
to offer?

It would be in Australia for a start :)

Personally, I reckon if we could get LEGO behind it, and try to have a combined
AFOL\World show, along with "seminars", training sessions [think L-Draw,
Mindstorms, "movie-making", Brikwars] and competitions we'd be on a winner.

Who would you like to attend?
• AFOLs only
• Public
• Both

Both...LEGO is an inclusive hobby\toy\addiction [cross out those that don't
apply...or that you haven't heard in reference to your LEGO activities.]

What would you like to see at the event?

umm...LEGO?

From my point of view, I'd like to see:
from LEGO:
"red letter day" [as mentioned somewhere...], world show type event, special
sales [with assosiated promo sets\bricks...and don't forget the flubber :)] and
even a possible talk from someone in the know at LEGO about future products or
whatever.

From AFOL's:
M.O.C.'s, club meeting, displays [i.e. a scene from several A.F.O.L's, instead
of individual models...a train layot for example.] Brikwars [either many
stand-alone battles, or preferably large scenario's over a day or two for
different tech levels.] "seminars" with A.F.O.L.'s giving instruction in various
areas to do with LEGO, partsies, donate all flubber to me appeal :) and much
more.

From the public:
attend...enter competitions, participate in any open areas...like seminars and
brikwars (could be a problem unless well supervised, as I doubt many would bring
their own army.), sign up to the "WORLD CLUB" and\or local groups, and maybe buy
some LEGO for themselves\their kids...and of course to have fun.

How should it be organised?

IMO, I think at least one organiser per group\state, plus 2-4 more additional
organisers who could either correspond by email, .loc.au or even (gasp) .org.au
[personally I think the email would be better, with RFC's and public statements
via LUGNET.]

What sort of Audience should the event attract?
• AFOLs only
• School Children and Children
• Everyone

Everyone of course :)

If the event turned out to be a success, would you attend another?
If yes, when?
• The year after
• Two years time
• Never

Yes, preferably next year, but whenever the next one is held would be fine.

If you would attend the next one should it be held in the same place again or
another destination in another state?

I reckon we should move it around a bit...after all, if it's always on the east
coast, then S.A., N.T. and W.A. would be somewhat limited on their contribution
and\or continued attendance.

Would you donate any of your ‘unwanted’ LEGO to the East Timor Children? (If
there were a deposit box at the event etc).

Probably...It's starting to take up valuable, and shrinking, storage space :(

Do you think it would be a cool idea if LEGO organised a RLD (Red Letter Day -
refer to UK posts) type event, for those who were interested?

Yep...and bring on the flubber :)

Do you think it would be cool if LEGO gave us a chance (if ever possible) to buy
bulk bricks from the event?

Of course...and I think that the general public would appreciate this as well.

Would you like to buy stuff not normally available to us at the event?

Of course :)

Would you like to see a ‘World Record’ type activity held at the event?

Certainly, with assosiated flubber :)

Would you like to see a Commemorative Brick, especially made for us, at the
event? (Like the Promotional Duplo bricks).

Why not...after all, if there is a new one at LEGOLAND in California every 6
weeks, making it difficult for those who don't live near-by to access, then why
not have one that they have to travel for ;)

If you were from Overseas, would you like to attend an event like this held in
Australia?  If so, would you like to contribute anything towards it? (Display,
Presentation etc).

Yep...everyone wants to visit Aus :)

What  do you think would be the overall ideal event to be held for Australia’s
first large event like this? (besides whatever LEGO already do and the National
meets).

What was the last event/show/convention/fest etc did you last attend that meant
the most to you?  What was the highlight of it?

Well, all the meetings I've been to have been great...highlights have included
partsies, brikwars, M.O.C.'s, and anything else...including FLUBBER collecting
:)

Anything I have missed that you would like to add?

Don't forget the FLUBBER...

Have fun :)

Mel

[1] Flubber, for those who don't know, is anything LEGO related that isn't a
LEGO part\set, box or instructions...and to some the box\instructions can go
either way.

Benjamin Whytcross