 Local / Australia / 11795
Re: Australian Brickfest? 2005 - Survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 01:28:02 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Mel Brown wrote:
RE: An Australian Brickfest type event for the year 2005.

Where are you from?
...and the winna is Syd-er-knee

What is your occupation and who do you work for?
Will work for food. I'm not hungry at the moment.

What should Australia’s first larger private/public event/show/convention/fest
etc be called? (Please, only three choices).
A name may need the following 3 components...
1. indicates an Australian national event eg. Aus/Australia/National...
2. hobby identifier eg. brick/block/build (assuming LEGO is out)
3. number/year or location identifier implying later similar events.

Where should the event be held?
SYD, MEL or BRI could do it. Satellites of those 3 may lower accomm costs and
event venue costs, but increase travelling costs.
eg. Newcastle, Penrith, Gosford, Geelong, Mornington Peninsula, Gold Coast.
But a major factor is the key organiser/s

• Melbourne
Yes. Strong LUG. Large population. Long way from Brisbane. ALF-friendly
retailer.

• Sydney
Yes. Semi-active LUG. Large population. Central to Melb/Bris/Canberra.
Head-Office of LA (only relevant if involvement of same).

• Adelaide
No. Semi-inactive LUG. Smaller population. Long way from 3 major cities.

• Perth
No. Nice city. Small population. Imagine the LEGO the airfare value could buy.

• Brisbane
Yes. Strong LUG. Medium population. Long way from Melbourne.

• Other?
Canberra would be OK, but they don't have a LUG. It's hard enough getting them
to post.

When should it take place?
• During School Holidays?
Accom/travel/prices go up/lots of people out of town. The event would be held
on a weekend anyway.

• After School Holidays?
A possible captive school-age audience for the city where it's held.

• June long weekend?
June 2005, yes. Is that a national Public Holiday ?

• Early 2005?
• Late 2005?
Spring or Autumn would beat summer.

How many days should the event take place over? Answering that, how many days
would you attend the event?
3 and 3. It's a long way for a lot of people for just 1 day.

Should there be an entry fee/ticket and how much should the fee/ticket cost? How
much would you be willing to pay?

Fees usually lead to commitment and a better gauge of numbers. $50ish

How many people do you think would attend such an event?
20 to 50 ALFs. Promotion in local schools could attract hundreds. Held in a
busy place with reasonable entry fee could do the same.

Would you prefer it if the LEGO group/company were involved or would you prefer
for them not to be?

Never dealt with them. Companies would have expertise in promotion.
I would ask Jake to approach them initially.

Would you like to help organise it? If so how would you like to participate?
Yes. If held in Sydney I would be happy to help organise it.

Would you want it to attract others from other nations?
It's primarily for us, but would welcome overseas interest.

How could/would the event be better than what other events around the world have to offer?
I have only seen images online, Legoworld(?) looked impressive.

Who would you like to attend?
• AFOLs only
• Public
• Both
Lego Direct are eager to raise the profile of ALFs, so maybe we can help.
LD are based in another country though. The public would enjoy it.
Smoking some more ALFs out of their holes may be difficult.

What would you like to see at the event?
MOCs of the usual suspects (Castle, Space, Train/Town, Technic etc)
More multi-LUG collaboration efforts in any theme.

How should it be organised?
Well. Organising committee plus/or co-ordinators in each state.

What sort of Audience should the event attract?
Everyone.

If the event turned out to be a success, would you attend another?
If yes, when?
The year after.

If you would attend the next one should it be held in the same place again or
another destination in another state?
Rotating through the SYD,MEL,BRI axis, but much mullage after Event 1.

Would you donate any of your ‘unwanted’ LEGO to the East Timor Children? (If
there were a deposit box at the event etc).
'unwanted' LEGO ? Do you mean Jack Stone ?
I can imagine certain ALFs itching to see in that deposit box  :^)
Richard Parsons expressed some thoughts that I found quite relevant.
Nice thought, but there are under-privileged locals.

Do you think it would be a cool idea if LEGO organised a RLD (Red Letter Day -
refer to UK posts) type event, for those who were interested?
Do you know the secret knock ? LA isn't a tourist attraction.

Do you think it would be cool if LEGO gave us a chance (if ever possible) to buy
bulk bricks from the event?
Cool yes, but probably not possible.

Would you like to buy stuff not normally available to us at the event?
Tempt me :^)

Would you like to see a ‘World Record’ type activity held at the event?
The shear pointlessness of such activities I find somewhat attractive.
Publicity is good too. Effort may be better spent elsewhere.

Would you like to see a Commemorative Brick, especially made for us, at the
event? (Like the Promotional Duplo bricks).
Do people actually collect these ? ALFs can be strange.

What  do you think would be the overall ideal event to be held for Australia’s
first large event like this? (besides whatever LEGO already do and the National
meets).
Anything that increases the ALFcount would be good.

What was the last event/show/convention/fest etc did you last attend that meant
the most to you?  What was the highlight of it?
The 2 multi-state events in 2001(MEL) and 2003(SYD). More ALFs !

Anything I have missed that you would like to add?

Keep up the good work Mel !