 Local / Australia / 11792
Re: Australian Brickfest? 2005 - Survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 22:11:03 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Melody Brown wrote:
RE: An Australian Brickfest type event for the year 2005.

Hi all, To help things move along, I thought it might be a good idea and some
fun for all interested, to answer the below... (copy and paste the following
questions)

Where are you from?

Melbourne

What is your occupation and who do you work for?

Currently between jobs

What should Australia’s first larger private/public event/show/convention/fest
etc be called? (Please, only three choices).

I leave that up to those with more imagination than I

Where should the event be held?
• Melbourne
• Sydney
• Adelaide
• Perth
• Brisbane
• Other?

I don't think this is hugely important, however if we're looking at mostly east
coast, Sydney is fairly central. And I think mostly east coast is probably a
good place to start.

When should it take place?
• During School Holidays?
• After School Holidays?
• June long weekend?
• Early 2005?
• Late 2005?
• 2006?
• Other

Long weekends seem to work well with AFOLs, I imagine if the public was invited
it would also work OK with them.

How many days should the event take place over? Answering that, how many days
would you attend the event?

Well, if it's a long weekend, 3 days seems like a nice number. I'd attend as
much as possible.

Should there be an entry fee/ticket and how much should the fee/ticket cost? How
much would you be willing to pay?

Yes, attendance fee is essential IMO. I guess I'd be willing to pay somewhere in
the $50-$100 range.

How many people do you think would attend such an event?
• Less than 30
• 30
• 50 or more
• 100
• Hundreds
• Other

Hard to judge. AFOLS - maybe 30-50. If we invite the public, it would depend a
lot on advertising (more money).

Would you prefer it if the LEGO group/company were involved or would you prefer
for them not to be?

Definitely.

Would you like to help organise it? If so how would you like to participate?

Well my organisational skills = nil, but I'd be happy to help maybe with
internet presence if required, or something like that.

Would you want it to attract others from other nations?

I think that's largely irrelevant - build it and they will come!

How could/would the event be better than what other events around the world have
to offer?

I don't think that would be my aim. I'd rather have an event that is fun for
everyone that attends.

Who would you like to attend?
• AFOLs only
• Public
• Both

It would be nice to include the public, however that raises the complexity
somewhat. The organisation of Brickfest PDX seemed like a nice compromise - it
was only open to the for 5 hours, from 11am to 4pm Sunday. This left 2 days for
AFOL only stuff, and plenty of time to pack up.

What would you like to see at the event?

MOCs, maybe some presentations, Brikwars, fun.

How should it be organised?

befits my lack of organisational know-how, I'll leave this question for others.

What sort of Audience should the event attract?
• AFOLs only
• School Children and Children
• Everyone

Everyone!

If the event turned out to be a success, would you attend another?
If yes, when?
• The year after
• Two years time
• Never

Yes. Whenever.

If you would attend the next one should it be held in the same place again or
another destination in another state?

I'd leave such decisions until after everyone's recovered from the first one :)

Would you donate any of your ‘unwanted’ LEGO to the East Timor Children? (If
there were a deposit box at the event etc).

What Richard said.

Do you think it would be a cool idea if LEGO organised a RLD (Red Letter Day -
refer to UK posts) type event, for those who were interested?

I really doubt LEGO would be in a position to do that, as I recall they are
based around the Legoland model shop, and we have no Legoland, let alone a model
shop. But yes it would be great if possible.

Do you think it would be cool if LEGO gave us a chance (if ever possible) to buy
bulk bricks from the event?

Yes.

Would you like to buy stuff not normally available to us at the event?

Depends what was available.

Would you like to see a ‘World Record’ type activity held at the event?

Dunno. I think LEGO have said they won't do any more timed ISD builds, and
records like towers and worms take A LOT of organisation.

Would you like to see a Commemorative Brick, especially made for us, at the
event? (Like the Promotional Duplo bricks).

That'd be cool. I also like the idea of the Brickfest name bricks.

If you were from Overseas, would you like to attend an event like this held in
Australia?  If so, would you like to contribute anything towards it? (Display,
Presentation etc).

What  do you think would be the overall ideal event to be held for Australia’s
first large event like this? (besides whatever LEGO already do and the National
meets).

I think a big national meet is a good place to start.

What was the last event/show/convention/fest etc did you last attend that meant
the most to you?  What was the highlight of it?

Brickfest PDX! Launching an ISD from 5 metres and watching it splatter.

Anything I have missed that you would like to add?

I think the most important step is finding the right people to organise it. And
I don't know the best way to do that LOL.

ROSCO