 Local / Australia / 11797
Re: Australian Brickfest? 2005 - Survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.events, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 02:34:49 GMT

Where are you from? • Perth
What is your occupation and who do you work for? • No job at the moment, studying for my degree.
What should Australia’s first larger private/public event/show/convention/fest
etc be called? (Please, only three choices).
Brickfest Downunder 2005
Brickfest.AU 2005 (using AU or AUS in the name would be better than using
SYD, MEL, BRIS, PER, ADL etc since this is an Australian event first and a
Sydney/Melbourne/etc event second)
Ausbrick 2005
Where should the event be held?
• Melbourne
• Sydney
• Adelaide
• Perth
• Brisbane
• Other?
Anywhere which will attract enough people (somewhere which I can get to and
stay in cheaply would be preferable of course :)
When should it take place?
• During School Holidays?
• After School Holidays?
• June long weekend?
• Early 2005?
• Late 2005?
• 2006?
• Other • Whenever is most convenient to get maximum attendance
How many days should the event take place over? Answering that, how many days
would you attend the event?
Dont know how many days it should go for but (especially if I was going to
fly in to e.g. sydney for it) I would attend the whole thing
Should there be an entry fee/ticket and how much should the fee/ticket cost? How
much would you be willing to pay?
I would be willing to pay an entry fee for the event as long as it was
reasonable (how much is reasonable depends on what I am getting for my $$$)
How many people do you think would attend such an event?
• Less than 30
• 30
• 50 or more
• 100
• Hundreds
• Other • Dont know, however many makes most sense
Would you prefer it if the LEGO group/company were involved or would you prefer
for them not to be?
Definatly get LEGO (and especially LEGO direct) involved, with a Jake Mckee
keynote speach Wouldnt it be cool if an Aussie was the first person outside
of TLC/LD to see a new set? (i.e. with the "Jake pulls out the cool new set
from his bag and reveals it to the world" thing like they have had in the past)
Would you like to help organise it? If so how would you like to participate?
If such an event was held in Perth (highly unlikey I know), I would
definatly help with organization/cleanup/setup/etc etc etc. If it was held
somewhere else, I wouldnt be able to help with physical stuff much but I
would still want to provide ideas into the melting pot.
Would you want it to attract others from other nations?
Yes. If people from other countries want to come, let them come. The more
the better :)
How could/would the event be better than what other events around the world have
to offer?
It needs to offer uniquely australian things.
For example, we definatly should have a big BBQ/Saussage Sizzle.
Who would you like to attend?
• AFOLs only
• Public
• Both
AFOLs/etc only for part of the time and public for some of the time (like
Brickfest)
What would you like to see at the event?
We should have MOC contests.
Specificly, contests for Australian themed MOCs. (I want a contest where I
can enter one of my UTEs :)
Plus, we should have themed displays (mabie by the time this happens, I
will finally have gotten around to building the Black Star Barracuda :)
And we should try and get Jake or someone to come down for a keynote speech.
Plus, we should try and have a large layout or layouts (moonbase, train,
town, castle, space, whatever)
Brickwars is good (but only if the kind where "high tech" stuff is
permitted since thats what I tend to make). Dont know about pirate game
(somehow I dont think my Black Space Barracuda would be allowed :)
Place for people to sell and buy things. Perhaps set up pre-event "request"
list where people get to submit request for certain parts (with a limit)
and other people can commit to bringing the parts along.
Definatly technic and mindstorms stuff.
How should it be organised? • Dont know
What sort of Audience should the event attract?
• AFOLs only
• School Children and Children
• Everyone
Certainly we want AFOLs but we want to allow the general public to see what
we can do with LEGO. Further to that, we should have something there as a
sort of "Like what you see? Here is how you too can get some of what you
see here" thing.
If the event turned out to be a success, would you attend another? • Yes
If yes, when?
• The year after
• Two years time
• Never • • As and when finances permitted
If you would attend the next one should it be held in the same place again or
another destination in another state? • Dont really mind
Would you donate any of your ‘unwanted’ LEGO to the East Timor Children? (If
there were a deposit box at the event etc).
I would donate but I dont have any "unwanted" lego that would be any use
(somehow I dont think that the East Timorese would be interested in my 8002
Destroyer Droid :)
Do you think it would be a cool idea if LEGO organised a RLD (Red Letter Day -
refer to UK posts) type event, for those who were interested? • Dont know.
Do you think it would be cool if LEGO gave us a chance (if ever possible) to buy
bulk bricks from the event?
What I think LEGO should do is what they did in Europe, where they ship
over a couple large boxes filled with random parts and everyone gets to
poke through them and take (or buy) parts from them.
Would you like to buy stuff not normally available to us at the event? • Definatly.
Would you like to see a ‘World Record’ type activity held at the event?
It would be cool to see one, but make it something that wins the record
because of its size or something. (i.e. not something like a group ISD
build that wins because of its time)
Would you like to see a Commemorative Brick, especially made for us, at the
event? (Like the Promotional Duplo bricks). • I would love to see some kind of commemerative souvaneer available.
If you were from Overseas, would you like to attend an event like this held in
Australia?  If so, would you like to contribute anything towards it? (Display,
Presentation etc). • Dont know.
What  do you think would be the overall ideal event to be held for Australia’s
first large event like this? (besides whatever LEGO already do and the National
meets). • Dont know.
What was the last event/show/convention/fest etc did you last attend that meant
the most to you?  What was the highlight of it?
Well so far the only true "fest" I have been to was PLUGS #1 (and that was
pretty good). Although if you go by the "more than 2 AFOLs in the one place
counts as a fest" rule, the "meet, greet and rifle through mel's for sale
parts" thing in brisbane was pretty good.
Anything I have missed that you would like to add?
Cant think of anything