 Local / Australia / 11804
Re: Australian Brickfest? 2005 - Survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.events, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:55:52 GMT

Hello all again! Delurking permanently this time I think!

In lugnet.loc.au, Melody Brown wrote:
RE: An Australian Brickfest type event for the year 2005.

Hi all, To help things move along, I thought it might be a good idea and some
fun for all interested, to answer the below... (copy and paste the following
questions)

Where are you from? • Adelaide
What is your occupation and who do you work for?
Restoration/Nightfill for Kmart (Btw, there's some new sets coming shortly to
the west lakes kmart :)
What should Australia’s first larger private/public event/show/convention/fest
etc be called? (Please, only three choices).
Either:
1. Brickoz
2. Brickfest OZ
3. LegOz (No, not "Legos" to those who are paranoid about that pluralism :)
Where should the event be held?
• Melbourne
• Sydney
• Adelaide
• Perth
• Brisbane
• Other?
Adelaide please - it is more central and has some nice features (First city in
oz to not be a penal colony etc). Failing this, Sydney.

When should it take place?
• During School Holidays?
• After School Holidays?
• June long weekend?
• Early 2005?
• Late 2005?
• 2006?
• Other

Either just before or during schoolies, or during the school holidays.
How many days should the event take place over? Answering that, how many days
would you attend the event?
Whatever seems reasonablew I guess - I suppose not longer than Brickfest PDX
went for (A long weekend). I would attend all assuming I could go.
Should there be an entry fee/ticket and how much should the fee/ticket cost? >How much would you be willing to pay? • I would prefer there be no entry ticket costs - it might turn a few people off.

How many people do you think would attend such an event?
• Less than 30
• 30
• 50 or more
• 100
• Hundreds
• Other
Whatever the current AFOL population is, plus about 50-100 kids and a few
visitors who dropped by to remember their childhood :)

Would you prefer it if the LEGO group/company were involved or would you prefer
for them not to be?

I think the company should be involved - a Jake Mckee Talk would be a Very Good
Thing(tm) and would inspire any audience that attended. It would be good if some
australians were the first in the world to see something new for a change -
maybe a "Jake pulls the new model out of the bag" sort of event.
Would you like to help organise it? If so how would you like to participate?
I would like to - I wouldn't be able to though. AARGHHH!, I hate being under the
influence of parents sometimes (on the other hand, I would have spent all of my
income on that star destroyer already if I hadn't been held back, so perhaps
they have their uses :)

Would you want it to attract others from other nations?
Most definitely - it could show that Aussies aren't just some beer swilling
slobs who watch TV all day and happen to be really good at cricket, swimming,
etc.

How could/would the event be better than what other events around the world have
to offer?

something uniquely Aussie - a Barbie definitely, mate, Perhaps a Henley-On-Todd
sort of competition? (Those who live in alice will understand what I am talking
about, for others, look here: <http://www.henleyontodd.com.au/default.htm>
Who would you like to attend?
• AFOLs only
• Public
• Both
Both. Raise the public awareness, get an article on 60 minutes (actually, 47
minutes), ACA, The today show, Good morning australia etc.

What would you like to see at the event?
Some sort of record breaking event (Longest lego Gahn? Biggest Uluru? Most
Aussie AFOLS in the one place? :) and perhaps a Brick Bazaar type thing (or a
"Lego sends us a few big boxes of bricks and we collect what we want" thing? )

How should it be organised?
Aussie AFOL community, and get some Public involvement (Maybe invite Mark Latham
along :)

What sort of Audience should the event attract?
• AFOLs only
• School Children and Children
• Everyone
Everybody mate! Last thing anyone is going to want to see is a totally exclusive
event that no one outside is interested in!

If the event turned out to be a success, would you attend another?
If yes, when?
• The year after
• Two years time
• Never
Either year after (Could go then, as will be 18) or if that isn't arranged by
then, then 2 years after. Never say Never! (you never never know if you never
never go!)

If you would attend the next one should it be held in the same place again or
another destination in another state? • Different destination every time I think.

Would you donate any of your ‘unwanted’ LEGO to the East Timor Children? (If
there were a deposit box at the event etc). • If I had any unwanted Lego, definitely.

Do you think it would be a cool idea if LEGO organised a RLD (Red Letter Day -
refer to UK posts) type event, for those who were interested? • It would be good if we had a LegoLand here first, then we can think about RLD's.

Do you think it would be cool if LEGO gave us a chance (if ever possible) to buy
bulk bricks from the event?

Refer above, YES. cheaper than their postage costs for sure. Even at 14c a brick
(Though not that horribly expensive preferably!)
Would you like to buy stuff not normally available to us at the event? • Umm, let me think, YES! Seasonal stuff for starters.
Would you like to see a ‘World Record’ type activity held at the event? • See above.

Would you like to see a Commemorative Brick, especially made for us, at the
event? (Like the Promotional Duplo bricks).
For sure - FOZ AFOL engraved on a brick possibly?

What  do you think would be the overall ideal event to be held for
Australia’s
first large event like this? (besides whatever LEGO already do and the
National
meets).

Anything I have missed that you would like to add?

Have fun :)

Mel