 Events / 1157
1156  |  1158
Subject:
UIUC LEGO Event
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 18:17:45 GMT

Hi Everyone,

This Friday and Saturday I held a building event at my college. I attend the University of Illinois. This weekend was the Architecture, Urban Planning, and Landscape Architecture Open House. Several hundred gradeschool students attended to see display about our departments. My Lego event was in the center.

I had the kids build small creations and then place them on white cubes for display. The Architecture student volunteers and I really enjoyed interacting with the kids, finding that one needed piece for them, giving out stickers, and viewing the unique creations that were made.

Almost every child participated and built something. It was great to see their eyes light up when they first saw the LEGO. Other than not having enough tables (I asked for more than I recieved) the event went really well. Many kids did not want to go when it was time to leave.

A husband of one of the volunteers was a “sleeper” afol. I told him about the various websites like lugnet, brickshelf, classic-castle, fbtb, and bricklink (his wife will probably not forgive me for that!) It was wonderful to tell him about the larger adult LEGO community.

My first event was a blast! I encourage everyone to participate in events. Many thanks to Jake McKee for the Event kit that made my school event possible.

Ben E.