 Dear LEGO / 938
Re: Catalogs, Justus and Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 22:10:59 GMT

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999 14:24:40 GMT, "Will Hess" <willhess@simflex.com>
wrote:

The economic sense is that if you can acquire parts in bulk (and I mean
really obscene amounts here) you could undercut TLC's pricing and still make
a decent profit.

Exactly why do you see bulk parts sales (and for special,
one-in-one-set pieces we're still only talking about maybe a few
thousand copies, remember) as being cheap enough for that? I doubt the
basic bricks will dip significantly belowe bucket cost, let alone
special pieces.

3. People not buying the sets, cause they can get the instructions?? but • many
sets have specific parts anyway. you buy them for the parts not the
instructions dont you?

This is the biggest problem (in my opinion) from TLC's standpoint.  We must
remember that AFOL's are NOT their target audience...the kids are.  Even
though the kids would be saavy enough to know that instructions without the
key parts are worthless their NLP's (1) might not.  An NLP might very well
decide that his or her child has more than enough LEGO so if they want to
build that cool new _______ they can just get the instructions and make it
from the thousands of parts they already have.

Exactly.

Jasper