 Dear LEGO / 912
Re: Catalogs, Justus and Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 09:28:20 GMT

John Neal wrote in message <385C79AE.8C1BD78D@uswest.net>...

Kevin Loch wrote:

<snip>

You might even read Brad's latest post as permission to publish current
instruction scans.

I did.  See earlier post.

I'm surprised that everyone missed that significant point.

I didn't.

Regardless, it is still my policy to not publish scans of sets in the • current
retail assortment, so I'm the "bad guy" on this issue, not TLC.

Kevin, in light of Brad's latest post, why continue your policy to not • publish
current instructions?  Just wondering.

-John

   John, I think that is a bad idea.  It seems to me that Brad typed too
fast for his own good.  I don't think TLG would like us scanning and sharing
current instructions on the internet... from Brad's post:
   "The assumption underlying this policy is that the materials mentioned
(building instructions, catalogs, and the like) are intended for and freely
available to the public; specifically, that the catalogs mentioned are
consumer catalogs."
   I have never acquired instructions for free!  They aren't freely
available.  If we publish the scans to current sets, it could hurt TLC's
business (much more so than any catalog scans!)  Kevin's position has and
still does make sense, in the sense that he is being polite to the people
who own the copyright, and imposing (on his own accord) rules which are in
TLC's best interest.  If TLC doesn't know what is in its best interest
(which wouldn't surprise me too much, then I guess we and they (TLC) could
be in trouble.
   When one person (in this case Brad), as spokesperson, has to defend an
entire company against a bunch of AFOLs, he is liable to put his foot in his
mouth, on occasion.  The fact remains that any person who is capable of
making a post or sending an email can acquire any current catalog or
instruction scans, so why does that company even bother attempting to limit
what we actually "publish" on the internet.  I think if I made a post
saying, "Please email me the 2000 dealer catalog," my inbox would be full of
scans or offers for them.  But, I already have them, of course.  So, why be
stupid?  Why not publish yourself (TLC) the info people want to see instead
of forbidding something you can't prevent?
--
   Have fun!
   John