 Dear LEGO / 2425
2424  |  2426
Subject:
Juniorization
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:38:47 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Tim Courtney writes:
I asked some key questions on the product line and on juniorization.  Really,
from what they said, juniorized models have done really well for them, and it
was a direct response to market demand.  I stressed with them that though it

They are seriously misinformed if they believe that.  Everything I've heard,
from parents, kids, numerous toy store employees at various stores have said
that parents and kids unanimously *hate* juniorized sets.  Sure they buy them
anyway because the economy is great, they have money to spend and there is no
alternative.  Actually there is a choice now that Star Wars is out.  I believe
the phenomenal success of Star Wars has as much to do with the design values as
the Star Wars element.

You and I could put non-juniorized sets together when we were 4 years old.
Kids today aren't any less intelligent or skilled.  They probably have more
potential.  My nephew could turn on the computer and monitor, boot up windows,
start a game of his choice and play it better then any adult at 2 years old.

Some parents might not realize that they are supposed to challenge and
stimulate their kids mentally.  Those kids aren't stupid, they just have
uninformed parents.  I would expect LEGO to take a leadership role in this
regard.  Think of all the kids that have had their creativity stifled or
otherwise undeveloped by juniorized sets.

The fact is juniorized sets (and their wattered down predecessors) nearly
killed the company.  Star wars and Mindstorms saved their #%$.  I cannot
understand why they would continue to believe that juniorization is the way to
go.

Brad made an interesting comment about "not canibalizing the current line".
That was funny because it reminds me of the running joke:

"Sales are lagging.  What can we do to boost them?"
"Let's make next year's product line a little less desirable.  That will clear
out the current stock."
--next year--
"Let's make next year's product line a little less desirable.  That will clear
out the current stock."
--and so on--
and that's how they arrived at TownJr. and Insectoids (Space?!)

That's right, Insectoids.  That word alone should conjure up fear and anxiety
in any TLC executive.

From Galaxy Explorer to Insectoids.  Just what the market wanted no?

KL