 General / 21323
Re: Juniorization
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:58:13 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Kevin Loch writes:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Tim Courtney writes:
I asked some key questions on the product line and on juniorization.  Really,
from what they said, juniorized models have done really well for them, and it
was a direct response to market demand.  I stressed with them that though it

They are seriously misinformed if they believe that.  Everything I've heard,
from parents, kids, numerous toy store employees at various stores have said
that parents and kids unanimously *hate* juniorized sets.

Yep, that's what I've heard too.  The only way to really make much of a
difference would be to get contact information for designers in Denmark and
talk to them.  I can try to do that, but no guarantees.  It seems that when
dealing with TLC, BradJ is our best, if not only, official contact person.  I
believe he has good intentions and is doing all he can to get LD up and
running to the best of his ability.  But because he's busy, I wouldn't
guarantee any such response immediately.

Sure they buy them
anyway because the economy is great, they have money to spend and there is no
alternative.  Actually there is a choice now that Star Wars is out.  I believe
the phenomenal success of Star Wars has as much to do with the design values • as
the Star Wars element.

Exactly.  SW carries its own as a brand name and a popular toy.  But the
pieces in SW are AWESOME.  Even though the models are mediocre, the pieces
we've seen from them have even revolutionized AFOLs creations.  (look at the
*groan not another* mecha designs we've seen because of them).

You and I could put non-juniorized sets together when we were 4 years old.
Kids today aren't any less intelligent or skilled.  They probably have more
potential.  My nephew could turn on the computer and monitor, boot up windows,
start a game of his choice and play it better then any adult at 2 years old.

At 2?!?!  I'd like to see that :)

Some parents might not realize that they are supposed to challenge and
stimulate their kids mentally.  Those kids aren't stupid, they just have
uninformed parents.  I would expect LEGO to take a leadership role in this
regard.  Think of all the kids that have had their creativity stifled or
otherwise undeveloped by juniorized sets.

True.  Juniorization while it may provide an easy in to Lego, doesn't
stimulate the mind and makes them almost underdevelop as children.  Sine it
doesn't challenge them, there's not as much draw to stay with the product
either.  Some parent who is an AFOL (I forget her name) commented on
juniorized sets a while back - and did an excellent review of them.  Summary -
they're good for younger kids, but they're bad when the kids grow up and hers
have left their Lego in the bin for other toys which they get better play out
of.  That's sad, when I hear the toy I grew playing with (played with almost
nothing else) is now being put aside for more stimulating toys, only because
they decided to dumb down their line.

The fact is juniorized sets (and their wattered down predecessors) nearly
killed the company.  Star wars and Mindstorms saved their #%$.  I cannot
understand why they would continue to believe that juniorization is the way to
go.

Yeah.  Technic is IMO getting better (though its steering away from classic),
and SW is OK, but only for the parts.  Lego has embraced SW through and
through - I can't begin to tell you the countless large SW models I saw in the
model shop yesterday.  (Unfortunately when I post pictures, I'm not allowed to
post the SW pics, Lucas Licensing is very nervous about the SW image)

Brad made an interesting comment about "not canibalizing the current line".
That was funny because it reminds me of the running joke:

[snip]

and that's how they arrived at TownJr. and Insectoids (Space?!)

That's right, Insectoids.  That word alone should conjure up fear and anxiety
in any TLC executive.

Unfortunately.  Interestingly enough I found the only good use for blue
insectoid wings yesterday.  A model designer used em as spiked hair on a large
head sculpture.  Interesting.

From Galaxy Explorer to Insectoids.  Just what the market wanted no?

I suppose so.  I believe Space was on the incline until it hit Exploriens.  A
lot of people complain about that subtheme but I love them.  Unitron was a
little worse IMO, the quality of models wasn't there but the figs were great.
Exploriens was a good theme in the larger stuff, and even the simple
Hovertron.  But UFO and *ick* Insectoids were TERRIBLE subthemes which have no
place coming out of a toy company which has produced such wonderful stuff in
the past.

-Tim