 Dear LEGO / 2423
Re: Formal Letter to TLC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:36:13 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.dear-lego, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Tim Courtney writes:

Hey, don't worry about it Tim.  I can certainly understand where you're coming
from.  Besides, I probably shouldn't have just jumped in of the blue into a
hot topic in a new group that suddenly.  I've been in enough forums to know
that well meaning or not, that can really stir stuff up..., especially if I
disagree with what's being said.  Sorry about that  :]

Here's hoping things all work out,
KDJ

Well, here's semi-news which I wasn't too public about beforehand.  Yesterday
I got a tour of TLC's Special Events Dept. (aka the Model Shop) in Enfield.
Robin Smith from their legal dept. met me there, and we discussed many things
about TLC and Lego Direct.  She's the one in charge of the internet
intellectual property, and I believe the parks and licensing? legal stuff too.

From the impression I got from her, BradJ and Lego Direct are doing all they
can to get stuff to us soon.  They've got big plans for bulk parts (no, I
don't know any details, and if I did I wouldn't post them here), and pretty
much all interactivity between TLC and the AFOL community will go through
him.  But - they are INCREDIBLY busy right now, so we all need to be a bit
patient with them.  I have sent Brad an email talking about future dialogue,
and from what Robin said, Brad is planning on getting back to me on it (still,
I'd rather that not be counted as a definite quote).  I do know how busy he
is, so I'll be patient on waiting for a reply.

I asked some key questions on the product line and on juniorization.  Really,
from what they said, juniorized models have done really well for them, and it
was a direct response to market demand.  I stressed with them that though it
might be great, they need to couple that with the more advanced minifig scale
system models that kids and adults came to love earlier on.  The juniorized
stuff is a response to frustrations by many kids who couldn't put things
together properly.  Its a pretty (drastic, IMO) change in the targeted age.
But if they have to shift it down to get kids into Lego in the first place,
then so be it I guess.  I would hope that they would 'hear our cry and heal
our land,' er...Lego - and give us back the cool stuff they once had.

All the other ideas I had (LTC sponsorship, Legofest support, etc) were
fielded by them and pretty much the answer given is that it needs to go
through Brad, or Brad's aware of x desire.  So all we have to do now is wait,
and hope for the best.

The impression I get from them, LD is a good thing and Brad is working on
making things work between us in the future.  Its taking so long because of
everything they have to do - and of course revolutionizing relations with fans
isn't their only job, they still have the inner workings of a business to take
care of.

Side note - the people there at Special Events are great.  They're basically
really cool AFOLs who get to play with an unlimited supply of bricks :)  And
they're a lot of fun too (who wouldn't be if they were surrounded by colorful
pieces of plastic they got to play with as a part of their *work*
environment) :D

-Tim