 General / 21324
Re: Juniorization
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 15:04:05 GMT

Kevin Loch <kloch@opnsys.com> wrote in message news:FzurCn.D5J@lugnet.com...

In lugnet.dear-lego, Tim Courtney writes:
I asked some key questions on the product line and on juniorization. • Really,
from what they said, juniorized models have done really well for them, • and it
was a direct response to market demand.

They are seriously misinformed if they believe that.  Everything I've • heard,
from parents, kids, numerous toy store employees at various stores have • said
that parents and kids unanimously *hate* juniorized sets.  Sure they buy • them
anyway because the economy is great, they have money to spend and there is • no
alternative.  Actually there is a choice now that Star Wars is out.  I • believe
the phenomenal success of Star Wars has as much to do with the design • values as
the Star Wars element.

You and I could put non-juniorized sets together when we were 4 years old.
Kids today aren't any less intelligent or skilled.  They probably have • more
potential.  My nephew could turn on the computer and monitor, boot up • windows,
start a game of his choice and play it better then any adult at 2 years
old.

If market research shows Lego that young children get frustrated building
non-junior sets, then juniorized sets make sense.  What doesn't make sense
is the complete replacement of the traditional, non-juniorized sets with all
juniorized ones.  It seems as if Lego is trying with juniorization to bridge
the gap (if one actually exists - which is another topic unto itself)
between Duplo and regular system.  However, in doing so, they have forgotten
regular system.

Juniorization is OK if it makes sense.  But making juniorized "gap" sets for
4-6 year olds only makes sense if you don't forget the 7+ crowd.
Unfortunately, this is exactly what has happened.

Tim