 Dear LEGO / 2417
Re: Formal Letter to TLC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:02:59 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
Tim said:
It is my belief that the corporate execs we would target - Peter Eio, Kjeld
Kirk Kristiansen, and additional heads of large divisions of the executive
team - would be responsive.  Maybe they wouldn't respond themselves, but I
believe that they would ensure that the approprate measures are taken within
the appropriate timeframe.  And if a timeframe couldn't be met, I believe
they'd take steps to ensure us that we aren't being ignored.

Maybe I can re-phrase my opinion on this point, FWIW.  Going just to the
specific people responsible for each area of your concerns, versus
going "higher up"..., either one could bring good results.  Whether that
happens depends on the person in question in each case.  But my experience has
been that dealing with the people you have to work with most directly works
far better in the long run.  It fosters cooperation and trust.  Going "around
people" to those with "more power", no matter how well-meaning, can have a
negative impact, and even really tick people off.  I've done both approaches
many times in the past.  On average, "going up" doesn't work out as well.  So
it's an approach I've used less and less of late (even when things are in
pretty bad shape), and I am very pleased with the results.  Again, my opinion,
based purely upon experience.  And I feel this is really the only *major*
thing on which we disagree.

I have to agree with Kyle on this one, Tim. And I think my sample set of
[Fortune 1000 sized company VP's and above] that I've personally had to deal
with is a bit larger than yours, Tim. Going up without involving the person
you're going up on is almost never ever a good idea, and the higher you go,
the worse of an idea it usually turns out to be. Which is why Kyle's next
paragraph makes a brilliant suggestion, I think.

But hey, here's an idea <insiration!>.  I've also seen cases where I don't
seem to be getting anywhere with people, and think about "going over them".
But instead, I ask them if *they* are having any struggles with anything.  And
you know what?  Very often they are just as frustrated within their own
heirarchy.  So try this.  You're thinking of writing a formal letter.  And you
have a general idea about what it would contain, etc., etc.  Ask LD (Brad)
what he thinks both about the letter and about your intended list of
recipients.  Who knows what he'll say, but I think it's worth finding out.  At
the very least, it's a courtesy to him to let him know that you're planning to
contact these people.  He may already be aware, but I won't presume to think
that he's enough time on his hands to spend combing the newgroups as we!  :]

Hmmm, yes, I do think this is a really good idea.  Thoughts?

Brilliant!

You may see the big picture as it comes to _a_ company, but I doubt
seriously you do see the big picture as it relates to TLC specifically, and
certainly don't as it regards LUGNET.  I'd encourage you to read EXTENSIVELY
discussions which have come about because of LD's presence on Lugnet, and of
things that Lugnetters have taken issue with.  Analyze it from the
perspective of Lugnet (as a group of people) with the desire for better
selection, more input, and more possibilities for cooperation, and then come
back and contradict this.

Tim, this comes off as a bit smug, I'm sure it's not how you really meant to
word it. And if this tone is going to come through in the letter, you may want
to delegate actually writing it to someone else. These sorts of letters take a
*very* skillful sort of wordsmith. Something that I probably am not, but which
I know when I see.

++Lar