 General / 21405
Re: Juniorization
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 17:01:55 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

In lugnet.general, James Simpson wrote:

I couldn't resist a "me-too" here.  If I had a single brick for every
Insectisoid & UFO set, as well as every sorry town-junior fire station that I've
seen on clearance...I would...er...have a lot more Lego than I do now!

Sooner or later, most sets go on clearance.

Why is no one complaining about Adventurers, which are just as Juniorized
as Insectoids?  The Egyptian sets had pretty cool designs, but the Amazon
sets were fairly lame, and most of the Dinosaur sets are even worse
(design-wise).

Well, I like several of the Amazon and Dino sets. 5976 is quite nice,
I'll be using that temple in my Pirate Games, and of course the boat
pieces are nice for making pirate ships (and that ship doesn't look that
bad, though it could use a little bit of work). I grant that 5988 is a
lot better than 5986, but 5986 isn't terrible. I really like 5987, it's
a pretty decent building with some neat ideas (just lose that stupid
netapult, at least the netapult in 5955 is cool to play with even though
it's even more stupid from a practicality standpoint).

I think one reason the adventurers sets are looked on as better than the
Insectoid and UFO sets is that they have a lot more generically useable
pieces, and even if you don't like the set designs, you can still use
the printed pieces to make some nice creations (at some point I need to
make a large temple with all the Amazon decorated pieces I have).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com