 General / 21340
Re: Juniorization
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 18:29:31 GMT

Unfortunately.  Interestingly enough I found the only good use for blue
insectoid wings yesterday.  A model designer used em as spiked hair on a • large
head sculpture.  Interesting.

I thought of another good use for them although I haven't implemented it.
You could use them as flippers for a giant fish-shaped submarine.  Aquanauts
II anyone?

I suppose so.  I believe Space was on the incline until it hit Exploriens. • A
lot of people complain about that subtheme but I love them.  Unitron was a
little worse IMO, the quality of models wasn't there but the figs were • great.
Exploriens was a good theme in the larger stuff, and even the simple
Hovertron.  But UFO and *ick* Insectoids were TERRIBLE subthemes which • have no
place coming out of a toy company which has produced such wonderful stuff • in
the past.

I liked the color scheme of Exploriens, it harkened back to the heady days
of Futuron, although I never liked any of the designs in Exploriens except
the Hovertron.  That one is a gem.  I liked the Exploriens minifigs as well
and really wish they'd make the fancy helmet in other colors.  However, my
biggest complaint with Space before it gave way to SW was the overabundance
of trans-antifreeze.  Though I'm glad this color is available in so many
pieces, I'm really getting sick of seeing it in EVERYTHING.  It was even
spilling over into Town.  Enough already!  There are other colors y'know.
How about bringing back trans-red and trans-yellow?  Pleeeeze?

UFO could have been vastly improved by changing two things; the hideous
color scheme (I think trans-red with gray and black would have been pretty
cool) and the paint design on the saucer sections (orange and silver?!
yuck!!).  Plus, the minifigs and decorated elements were OVER decorated.
They just looked too cluttered.  However, I love the trans-orange and
trans-antifreeze minifig heads, but I'm really annoyed that they waited
until the Millenium Falcon to create large inverse saucer sections.

I loved Insectoids for some of the parts.  Trans-green saucer sections,
black inverse saucer sections, blue wheels (in many sizes), and the droid
minifigs.  The set design was poor for most of them, although I must admit a
fondness for the Planetary Prowler.  It has the most insect-like appearance
(I think it's called the Cicada in Italy, now there's a cool set name!) and
the spring-cushioned back legs are kinda cool.  Mainly, I love the pair of
unpainted trans-green shuttle bay doors that come with it!

Dave