 Dear LEGO / 2424
Re: better villians
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:55:54 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, James Walker writes:
i think that lego should realise that people that smile all the time and live
in a world where nothing goes worng just doesnt sell anymore...
i think lego needs better villians...
take for example the egyptian adventurers
the good guys have have 4 people as a team
the bad guys have 2
and the dead guys have 5??

I'm not much for villans, besides opposing Space subthemes, etc.  *evil*
characters just don't do it for me.

i think these odds are unrealistic

We're not being realistic, we're playing with Lego.

i think that lego should have "eviler" minifigs
ideas could be creatres of the undead, demons, vampires etc. they could all be
used great for castle...
so then TLC could still have a hero and slay the beasts

Violence is not what TLC is about.  The only reason in my mind we see bad figs
is because of the SW sets, etc.  Other than that, Lego strives to be a company
promoting creativity, not evil and violence.  So I say, leave evil OUT of Lego.

and they could all be used for town so then they could release a Buffy the
Vampire Slayer theme

that would be sweeet

No, it wouldn't.  Its Lego.  IMO, Lego doesn't have to, and shouldn't
conform.  From who I've talked to in TLC, licensing has done very well for
them, and its responsive to trends.  But aside from that, they said they'll
always make their original stuff.  I'd rather keep Lego pure than muck it up
with current popular stuff - Lego should remain a timeless toy.

but what about the kids you might be saying

well lego already is connected with the occult (witches and wizards)
they already have the undead (skeletons and ghosts)
and they already have one of the most evil and hated creature ever...
JAR JAR BINKS!!!

I hold personal disagreements with those characters in Lego, but seriously,
can Castle be complete without witches and wizards?  Though its a Not Cool
thing coming from my POV, its a Cool Thing coming from MANY others'.  I
wouldn't count those as something towards Lego being unpure (except FK, cause
it was a poor juniorized implimentation) though.  Most of those items came
about in the era when Lego was still producing good stuff, IMO.

so i say why not expand and earn money...
i know i would but heaps and heaps of eviler lego...

And I wouldn't.  What's the point of ruining a classic toy?  I'm definitely a
purist in the themes (not as extreme as the Lego Purists' page, of course!) -
to keep classic smilies and the small modifications that have come off of them
(sunglasses, lipstick, stubble, but certainly NO eyeballs, noses, etc) - to
keep themes like Space pure from juniorized and weird subthemes like UFO and
Insectoids, etc.  Lego is timeless, keep it timeless, and keep the evil out of
it.  TLC isn't about promoting evil, from what I've read and who I've talked
to.

My .03

-Tim