 Dear LEGO / 2428
Re: better villians
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 16:30:52 GMT

James & All,

In lugnet.dear-lego, James Walker writes:

i think that lego should realise that people that smile all the time and • live
in a world where nothing goes worng just doesnt sell anymore...

Of course the world is not perfect. However, LEGO sets are geared for kids,
and they do not to be bombarded with conflicts from all walks of life
instantly. A little friendly conflict, as depicted in various LEGO themes,
is fine, IMO.

i think lego needs better villians...
take for example the egyptian adventurers
the good guys have have 4 people as a team
the bad guys have 2
and the dead guys have 5??

Well, I don't think the Adventurers is anything more than a Indiana Jones
theme kind of thing, and kids will do what they want with the minifigs. They
might work together in one person's mind, and some might be fighting each
other. I don't pay attention to what LEGO says about the minifigs anyway
"Watch as Jack Sledgehammer drives his dump truck in search for the
mysterious crystals and so forth." Ugh.

I'm not much for villans, besides opposing Space subthemes, etc.  *evil*
characters just don't do it for me.

I would love to see different things compete in the Space theme, such as USA
vs. Russia, in a space race, or perhaps different corporations or something.
That would be a good way to say competition is good, not all adversaries are
evil.

i think these odds are unrealistic

We're not being realistic, we're playing with Lego.

Indeed.

i think that lego should have "eviler" minifigs
ideas could be creatres of the undead, demons, vampires etc. they could • all be
used great for castle...
so then TLC could still have a hero and slay the beasts

Violence is not what TLC is about.  The only reason in my mind we see bad • figs
is because of the SW sets, etc.  Other than that, Lego strives to be a • company
promoting creativity, not evil and violence.  So I say, leave evil OUT of
Lego.

I think I know where Tim is coming from on here, and I think TLC approach to
this is a pretty decent one. Most of the adversaries are just bad guys, not
evil bad guys. Vampires, undead creatures and the like are pushing it in
terms of TLC's "conservative" nature, in terms of theme development.
Skeletons and the ghosts are really not that bad. It is what you make of it.

and they could all be used for town so then they could release a Buffy • the
Vampire Slayer theme

that would be sweeet

Ugh, that would be pretty bad, especially since Buffy is a garbage show,
IMO. You can make it if you like, I don't see LEGO doing things like that,
ever.

No, it wouldn't.  Its Lego.  IMO, Lego doesn't have to, and shouldn't
conform.  From who I've talked to in TLC, licensing has done very well for
them, and its responsive to trends.  But aside from that, they said • they'll
always make their original stuff.  I'd rather keep Lego pure than muck it • up
with current popular stuff - Lego should remain a timeless toy.

but what about the kids you might be saying

well lego already is connected with the occult (witches and wizards)

Having a blue and black generic witch and wizard is NOT connected to the
occult. Having pentagrams, sacrificing people, and all the things occults do
are a concern, and I don't think TLC endorses this at all.

they already have the undead (skeletons and ghosts)

See above.

and they already have one of the most evil and hated creature ever...
JAR JAR BINKS!!!

Jar Jar maybe rather ignorant, but he is hardly evil. Senator Palpintine
(SP?) is evil, and TLC made him a part of their collection, also Darth
Vadar.

I hold personal disagreements with those characters in Lego, but • seriously,
can Castle be complete without witches and wizards?  Though its a Not Cool
thing coming from my POV, its a Cool Thing coming from MANY others'.  I
wouldn't count those as something towards Lego being unpure (except FK, • cause
it was a poor juniorized implimentation) though.  Most of those items came
about in the era when Lego was still producing good stuff, IMO.

Indeed. I think James is reading too much into some of this stuff, and since
there is a lot of controversy in many ways, from Star Wars, to Harry Potter
and the like, and I don't think TLC really wants another issue to deal with.
I personally and spiritually don't want TLC to go that way (Occults, etc.)
but there are plent of MOC's out there that deal with some aspects, one
person made Hell, which was disturbing (Nice creation, but disturbing to
me), some are doing undead armies, and the like, so if you don't like how
TLC handles things.  feel f ree to go out, buy some sets, paint, or make
your own creations, and do waht you want. That is the beauty of LEGO, and
one of the reasons I liek the Brick as much as I do.

so i say why not expand and earn money...
i know i would but heaps and heaps of eviler lego...

And I wouldn't.  What's the point of ruining a classic toy?  I'm • definitely a
purist in the themes (not as extreme as the Lego Purists' page, of • course!) -
to keep classic smilies and the small modifications that have come off of • them
(sunglasses, lipstick, stubble, but certainly NO eyeballs, noses, etc) - • to
keep themes like Space pure from juniorized and weird subthemes like UFO • and
Insectoids, etc.  Lego is timeless, keep it timeless, and keep the evil • out of
it.  TLC isn't about promoting evil, from what I've read and who I've • talked
to.

Indeed, although I like some the the UFO stuff. : )

Scott S.
--
Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> http://www.aeieng.com
Want LEGO Parts at Great Prices? Visit The Sanburn Systems Company!