 Dear LEGO / 1063
Re: Thanks for the welcome
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 06:03:15 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Brad Justus writes:
Well. Wow. What can I say? It certainly appears as if we have opened Pandora’s
Bucket…

What set number is that? S@H has never heard of that one! :-)  All kidding
aside, the idea has been previously raised of themed buckets to distribute
theme-based pieces a la Freestyle, and I think it's a great idea! I'd love a
Res-Q bucket, or better yet, a Star Wars or Trains bucket.

First, allow me to thank you all for your overwhelmingly warm welcome. I can
assure you, it is as thrilling to us to be able to make the announcement of
LEGO Direct as it is for you to read it.

I have been slow to respond only because I've just recently picked my jaw back
up (it was interfering with the development of coherent messages). Welcome,
welcome!

We’re particularly gratified by the overwhelmingly positive response. We hope
that even the skeptics have been won over – no, this isn’t a hoax. We’re in
this for the long haul. And I can promise you that we will do everything that
we can in the coming weeks, months, and beyond to demonstrate with action and
not merely with words how very committed we are to making LEGO Direct the
enterprise that all in the LEGO community would wish it to be.

Lately, I read an interesting, albeit understated, sentence that was printed
in the 1998 Parent's Guide To Lego Toys pamphlet, from the back page:

"Today, children all over the world get the same sense of accomplishment from
building with LEGO bricks as they did a generation ago."

Within the last dozen or so years, I had found it mildly
interesting/irritating (to say the least) that the LEGO Company did not think
that they had managed to sufficiently (pick your favorite phrase here) win
over/challenge/please/hook/addict/dazzle enough kids that they now, as adults,
would still love to build with it - especially in the light that LEGO itself
knows that those same kids built with "wonder" and "pride"[1]. Why would this
change just with the mere passage of time, even considering what passes for
building toys these days? I was building in the 1970's, a generation ago, and
building quite happily with LEGO bricks. Would anyone even dare to think that
I might perhaps be willing to set even more LEGO bricks before my own kids
today? Mmmaybe..

Plus, over a dozen kids a week come to my house for piano lessons and they see
my LEGO creations quite often. This Christmas, once again we heard that
familiar refrain, "I didn't know that LEGO made trains!"

But let me reiterate something stated in the first post: it’s going to take a
few months to get this really rolling.

We can wait. IMHO, set this thing is up right, or don't set it up at all.
It'll be worth it if it's done correctly.

And so, as
Todd kindly invited: we’d like to take off our coat and stay awhile. We’d like
to hear your thinking and share some of ours before putting all our plans into
action.

My big concern right now is that I hope that any impatience or apparent
immaturity you might happen to read about will only positively reflect and
translate as a love for the LEGO brick and its building process, and that you
won't get cold feet. I guess you do realize that this sort of thing has been
*years* in the wanting.

It also seems as if a couple of clarifications and comments may be called for;
herewith, in no particular order:

1) Thanks to Ian Sinclair for suggesting that we create an FAQ based on the
most common queries (and/or suggestions) we receive; we shall do just that. It
will take a while to pull this together, but look for it in a couple of weeks.

Great! I'm horrible at reading old posts, and don't want to get better at it :)

2) Todd Lehman wrote: • <snip>
I would expect that you may want to
establish sub-groups to handle some of the “meatier” topics such as bulk
ordering.

[Todd, might I suggest lugnet.bricks.slopes.purple-blue :-)]

3) And speaking of bulk ordering, a couple of important things: first, don’t
worry – we’re going to do this!
<snipped "music to my ears">

My wallet just jumped up onto the roof top and threatened suicide ;-)

4) To Selçuk Göre • <snip>
this will be a “more than just the USA” offering.

Excellent. I hope your corner of the 'Company leads the way in making TLC's
products more worldwide than ever, and less "country exclusive".

<snip>
6) As noted, we’ve been deluged with e-mail. (I can’t say we didn’t expect it,
but again – wow.) We’ll try to respond to the most common questions and
comments with (at least) weekly postings; but for the time being, please
understand that we can’t respond to each individual message. Thanks for your
patience.

At least now you've got something with which to comfort yourself when you lie
awake at night wondering if this all fits into the Fitness Programme. ;-)

And a very Merry Christmas to you from all of us at LEGO.

And to you all also, from the San Francisco Bay Area Lego Users Group. To
where in/at LEGO do we direct our club's Christmas card?

-Tom McDonald
www.baylug.org

[1] (quotes within context)