 Database / Set Inventories / 794
Re: Part naming/organization [was: Re: More inventories on peeron.com!]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv, lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 16:38:38 GMT

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 03:33:42PM +0000, TWS Garrison wrote:
As for Peeron.com image library--I would like to see SOME categorization of
images but would not favor fragmentation similar to partsref.

That method of seeing all torsos that Dan Boger mentioned a few messages back
is really cool---you can see a bunch of pieces at a time (a problem with
Partsref currently).  If it were the same for *similar* pieces---say, all
minifig headgear on one page---inventories would be a *lot* easier.

heh, I agree - except that I can't think of a way to group headgear
together...  not without using keywords or something... (which is
planned, I'll admit).

Unnecessary, IMO -- until, perhaps, the time comes that there are lDraw
renderings and photographic images of 99% of all Lego elements.  That is
unlikely due to the (fast) pace in which The Lego Company produces new
elements.

Not necessarily. . .in the past week or so, Jenn and Dan Boger have added over
a hundred high-quality photos to Peeron.  Granted, this is an exceptional burst
of effort (I suspect a vacation)

heh, no, not really - just we got tired of the huge pile of sets waiting
to be inventoried and verified, so we decide to tackle them :)

, but imagine the potential effect if several
similarly motivated and talented individuals were to exert a similar effort
(non-trivial; see http://news.lugnet.com/db/brictionary/?n=144) at a place with
(potentially) a bunch of pieces (say, Brickfest or a LUG meeting).  <dreams of
easy inventories. . .>

interesting idea, though we usually don't like to take pictures of
pieces that do not have a Master List entry...  and are in a set that's
inventoried...

[3] I'd go crazy if I had to be clicking and digging to find every part while
doing an inventory, instead of just scrolling and occasionally searching.

heh, nod...  we usually just put in the number, if we can find it...
otherwise, the search box on peeron has become a lot more effective,
recently :)

--
Dan Boger / dan@peeron.com / www.peeron.com / ICQ: 1130750
<set:4158_1>:  5+ Building Set (LEGO/SYSTEM/FreeStyle/5+), '97, 129 pcs, 1 figs