 Database / Set Inventories / 793
Re: Part naming/organization [was: Re: More inventories on peeron.com!]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv, lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 15:53:33 GMT

And I must mention that, although it is in some ways convenient to be able to
find pieces by theme, things get messy when themes are used in the hierarchy.
For example, consider the Castle section of Partsref, and these "Castle *"
parts.  There are parts that would make more sense to be found under
Minifig>Weapon> like Castle Sword[1] or Castle Pike[2]; there are Vehicle
Elments (wheels); there are Panels (castle walls); there's the Castle Goblet,
which has appeared in many Town sets. . .

I'll let Steve fight his own battle - but I will point out that partref
uses %100 ldraw names... :)

This becomes more of a problem when looking at a place that uses the Partsref
names---say, the List of Pieces at Peeron, which my first resort when writing
up an inventory---without the Partsref searchability.  It's really convenient
to have one big alphabetical list of parts when doing an inventory[3], but it's
not so convenient when logically similar items are all over the map.

Tell me about it.  Our current stance on peeron is that we won't create
new names for pieces that already have names via ldraw/partsref... we'll
just have to convince someone that there's no such thing as a
"cantenary" and one day it'll get fixed :)

As for Peeron.com image library--I would like to see SOME categorization of
images but would not favor fragmentation similar to partsref.

That method of seeing all torsos that Dan Boger mentioned a few messages back
is really cool---you can see a bunch of pieces at a time (a problem with
Partsref currently).  If it were the same for *similar* pieces---say, all
minifig headgear on one page---inventories would be a *lot* easier.

Good idea!  I'm not sure how this would be implemented, but I'm sure
Dan's got something in his head already.  (wow!  that would really help
with invs!)

Not necessarily. . .in the past week or so, Jenn and Dan Boger have added over
a hundred high-quality photos to Peeron.  Granted, this is an exceptional burst
of effort (I suspect a vacation), but imagine the potential effect if several

Not a vacation - Just a need to get MISB sets out of the bedroom, but
they can't be sorted until they're inved, and they have to be photo'ed
to be completely inved... so... :)

similarly motivated and talented individuals were to exert a similar effort
(non-trivial; see http://news.lugnet.com/db/brictionary/?n=144) at a place with
(potentially) a bunch of pieces (say, Brickfest or a LUG meeting).  <dreams of
easy inventories. . .>

It'd be great, though, we are kind of picky about the picture quality
(you'd never guess to look at it though)... Right now though, i think
our biggest problem is that vast majority of sets that have been
submitted that we don't actually know exactly which fig head goes with
what set, and which torso this one that says "with armor" really is :/
not until we get our hands on a copy of the set :/

[3] I'd go crazy if I had to be clicking and digging to find every part while
doing an inventory, instead of just scrolling and occasionally searching.

i think i spend about 1/2 of my time searching, and the other 1/2
looking at pieces for part numbers... Do you use our excel file?