 Database / Brictionary / 260
Re: Autoroute!=Towing, right?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:29:31 GMT

In lugnet.db.brictionary, Pedro Silva wrote:

In lugnet.db.brictionary, William R. Ward writes:
Note that "freeway" is not unversally used in the US, though I would
say it is unversally recognized.

I don't know about "universal in the US", but freeway is generally used
in this area (Michigan).  But "expressway" is more universal, since it
includes limited access dual carriageways which require tolls for usage.

I just ran a search on google, and it gave me a new word which I think can
be of universal understanding: Expressway!
Here's the link:
http://www.ideamerge.com/motoeuropa/roadsigns/

This page seems to be a guide to European road signs, targeted at North
Americans (esp. NA'ians who speak English).  So I wouldn't put too much
weight in the idea that "expressway" is universal.

For the LDraw parts, I'll (mostly) go along with what everyone wants.
But I tend to agree with Larry, the final term should indicate European
usage, since this is a real-world icon.

Steve