 Database / Brictionary / 251
Re: Autoroute!=Towing, right?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 20:52:17 GMT

"Anders Isaksson" <isaksson.etuna@REMOVEebox.tninet.se> writes:
Don't know about Danish, but in Swedish it's called "Motorväg", that's a
straight translation of "Motorway".

"Motorway" is a British term, but I think its meaning is pretty
obvious.

"Highway" would be understandable too...

In California at least, any public road is a highway, even a
residential street.  Legally, that is.  Colloquially it is reserved
for interurban roads.  But they might not be dual-carriageway or
limited-access.

"Freeway" - is that a road where you don't have to pay?

"Freeway" is mostly a western American term, especially California,
Nevada, and Washington.  I'm not sure about other western states.  In
most rural states, the only freeways (outside of major cities, anyway)
are part of the Interstate highway system, and are often referred to
as "Interstates" instead.

In the western US, there are very few toll highways.  The word
"freeway" is used here, especially in California, to refer to all
dual-carriageway limited-access highways, such as the Interstate
highways or state freeways.  In the eastern US, many Interstates are
toll highways, and are often called "turnpikes."  Those that are free
are often called "expressways" rather than "freeways."

"Autoroute" - for me it's the thing a CAD system for printed cirquit boards
can do - automatically route something.

It's a new term to me as well, but I'm OK with it.  The icon itself is
not found in America so I would be perfectly happy with a European
word.  (Though personally I think "autobahn" would be better.)

--Bill.

                      Verbing weirds language.  --Calvin