 Database / Brictionary / 258
Re: Autoroute!=Towing, right?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 11:50:14 GMT

In lugnet.db.brictionary, Chris Dee writes:

We usually go with British-English in part names out of respect for James
Jessiman, but "Motorway" is so specific to the UK, that I used "Autoroute" in
the belief that within Europe it is more widely understood [4]. The mostly US
terms "Highway", "Freeway" would be almost as alien as "Motorway", I suspect.
What word might an Australian speaker use? What about Denmark?

In Denmark it would be "Motorvej" meaning limited to vehichels driving at a
higher speed than 60 km/hour (no tractors, no mopeds, no bicycles), and
where there are no crossing roads (thus the bridge, indicating crossing
roads are at another level); any use of the road are free except the 2 new
bridge/tunnel systems. Being neighbors of Germany any Dane of course
understands Autobahn, but we could go for Motorway as well - I've never
heard of Autoroute, but then again, I haven't been driving in France.

regards
Arne, Copenhagen