 Database / Brictionary / 253
Re: Autoroute!=Towing, right?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 21:55:52 GMT

"Pedro Silva" <el_gordo@netc.pt> writes:
I just ran a search on google, and it gave me a new word which I think can
be of universal understanding: Expressway!
Here's the link:
http://www.ideamerge.com/motoeuropa/roadsigns/

As mentioned in my other post, that is used in the eastern US, and
pretty widely understood all over the US.

(Please note that the background of the sign is usually blue, not green -
AFAIK, green backgrounds are only used in some parts of Europe AND for
destination signs)

In the US, they're always green.  Blue is only used for indicating
services available at a destination (food, gas, lodging, hospital,
etc.).  (Brown is used to mark recreational destinations.)

And another one (this one is from France):
http://www.ideamerge.com/motoeuropa/roadsigns/

That's the same URL!

--Bill.

                      Verbing weirds language.  --Calvin