 Database / Brictionary / 245
Re: Autoroute!=Towing, right?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 18:49:26 GMT

In lugnet.db.brictionary, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.db.brictionary, TWS Garrison wrote:

Are the patterns on

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/973p27
and

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/4209p05
the same?  They look like it, but they have dramatically different
names[1]:

Minifig Torso with Autoroute Pattern[2]

Hose Reel 2 x 4 x 2 Holder with tow logo pattern[3]
The first suggests that it's a picture of a highway, while the second
suggests some sort of towing operation.

Yeah, these are the same, and they should have the same pattern-name.
How about "Autoroute Tow Logo Pattern"?

[1] And numbers, but I think the effort to equate pattern numbers across
parts is much more recent than these parts.

Right.  I'm not clear why 4209p05 *is* p05, but it's not a big enough
deal to do a renumber on it.

No idea why 4209p05, but it predates the Torso which _could_ still be
renumbered 973p05, as this is free. There is also a 4215a (1x4x3 panel) in
existance with this pattern but p05 is alreay used.

[2] French in LDraw names?

I dunno.  Chris, what was up with that?

Why "Tow logo"? From a European perspective this logo is commonly used on road
signs to denote a Motorway (GB), Autobahn (DE), Autoroute (FR plus others) -
basically the national dual carriageway high speed road. It is supposed to
represent a two lane road with a bridge over. Is this used to denote recovery
services in the US, or has someone mis-interpreted the image?

We usually go with British-English in part names out of respect for James
Jessiman, but "Motorway" is so specific to the UK, that I used "Autoroute" in
the belief that within Europe it is more widely understood [4]. The mostly US
terms "Highway", "Freeway" would be almost as alien as "Motorway", I suspect.
What word might an Australian speaker use? What about Denmark?

[3] The lack of capitalization is strange, but this part is on the Tracker
and I'm sure the name will be fixed before it's certified.

The capitalization *has* been fixed on the PT, I'll address the title in
a bit (probably tomorrow, as I re-read this message).

Steve

Chris
[4] Not really because I was in France when I authored this file - honest.