 Database / Brictionary / 255
Re: Autoroute!=Towing, right?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 21:16:45 GMT

In lugnet.db.brictionary, Chris Dee wrote:
In lugnet.db.brictionary, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.db.brictionary, TWS Garrison wrote:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/973p27
Minifig Torso with Autoroute Pattern[2]
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/4209p05
Hose Reel 2 x 4 x 2 Holder with tow logo pattern[3]

Yeah, these are the same, and they should have the same pattern-name.
How about "Autoroute Tow Logo Pattern"?

Why "Tow logo"? From a European perspective this logo is commonly used on road
signs to denote a Motorway (GB), Autobahn (DE), Autoroute (FR plus others) -
basically the national dual carriageway high speed road. It is supposed to
represent a two lane road with a bridge over. Is this used to denote recovery
services in the US, or has someone mis-interpreted the image?

Sorry, I misinterpretted the pattern - I thought it was a variation of
the general icon, not the actual icon itself.

[1] And numbers, but I think the effort to equate pattern numbers across
parts is much more recent than these parts.

Right.  I'm not clear why 4209p05 *is* p05, but it's not a big enough
deal to do a renumber on it.

No idea why 4209p05, but it predates the Torso which _could_ still be
renumbered 973p05, as this is free.

Good point.

There is also a 4215a (1x4x3 panel) in
existance with this pattern but p05 is alreay used.

But this 4215a hasn't been modeled in LDraw, right?

[2] French in LDraw names?

I dunno.  Chris, what was up with that?

We usually go with British-English in part names out of respect for James
Jessiman, but "Motorway" is so specific to the UK, that I used "Autoroute" in
the belief that within Europe it is more widely understood [4]. The mostly US
terms "Highway", "Freeway" would be almost as alien as "Motorway", I suspect.
What word might an Australian speaker use? What about Denmark?

Good question.

Steve