 Database / Brictionary / 259
Re: Autoroute!=Towing, right?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:36:03 GMT

In lugnet.db.brictionary, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.db.brictionary, Pedro Silva writes:

Since I have now run a different search (thus losing the first results),
I'll leave you a different, slightly unrelated url just for the fun factor
(I warn you, it is geekish!)

Only a little.

http://www.elve.net/rcoulst.htm

My favorite quote: " Warning: don't mention your collection during job
interviews. Grey persons are in the lead here. "

This fits a lot of sorts of collections don't you think?

:-)

Back to topic, I still say Autobahn is a good choice. It may not be the word
used by natives to describe THEIR roads, but everyone knows what it means.

I do know what it means (unsure about "everyone", though); still, I think
Autoroute is easier to understand for someone who's never heard of it before.
I was unsuccessful trying to find a "Eurocode" or "directive" of some sort
regarding this issue, when I looked up yesterday. I'm sure there is one
(there is ALWAYS one...), and it will probably provide the best possible
alternative for the English language translation.

(Anyone knows the e-mail of the European Commission, BTW? :-)

It also carries a european connotation, which expressway does not.

True.
In a way, that's what's good about expressway, it can be understood outside
of Europe without effort. After all, the more universal is the word the better.

Pedro