 Database / Brictionary / 254
Re: Autoroute!=Towing, right?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 22:41:43 GMT

In lugnet.db.brictionary, William R. Ward writes:
"Pedro Silva" <el_gordo@netc.pt> writes:
I just ran a search on google, and it gave me a new word which I think can
be of universal understanding: Expressway!
Here's the link:
http://www.ideamerge.com/motoeuropa/roadsigns/

As mentioned in my other post, that is used in the eastern US, and
pretty widely understood all over the US.

I suppose it is the best choice, then (changes being made...)

(Please note that the background of the sign is usually blue, not green -
AFAIK, green backgrounds are only used in some parts of Europe AND for
destination signs)

In the US, they're always green.  Blue is only used for indicating
services available at a destination (food, gas, lodging, hospital,
etc.).  (Brown is used to mark recreational destinations.)

Yes, I just became aware of that. I knew the signs were different, I just
could not imagine they were SO different! One funny thing I noticed were the
civil defence signs, it's always nice to know where the nearest bomb shelter
is! :-)

And another one (this one is from France):
http://www.ideamerge.com/motoeuropa/roadsigns/

That's the same URL!

Ooops... my bad.
Since I have now run a different search (thus losing the first results),
I'll leave you a different, slightly unrelated url just for the fun factor
(I warn you, it is geekish!)

http://www.elve.net/rcoulst.htm

Pedro