 Castle / 413
Re: Different Idea over CastleDastville
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 16:16:16 GMT

In lugnet.castle, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.castle, Tamyra Teed writes:
Ok, I read James reasons for why it seems the idea is dead, how about
instead of doing something like that. We start a castle with a ldraw, we
build however much we want, and we then send it off to someone else and
let them build onto it what they want... so on and so forth.. and when
we finally get to the end... if we ever do.. then POV it and display it
somewhere?

Does this sound like a fun idea to anyone???

Actually, yes! I think that'd be very cool-- I think either/both ideas sound
really cool! I just wish I could participate in them NOW! I'm probably won't
start LDrawing/MLCADing/etc.ing until January, though, when I get a newer,
cooler computer...

That does sound like it could be a lot of fun - especially if you took
"snapshots" at different times... I think I posted an idea like this a while
back (rummage rummage rummage) Ah hah!

"I had in mind no real style requirements - I think it would be really neat to
see how it evolved over time.  "In the reign of King AFOL, the construction of
the mighty castle started.  His vision for the castle called for strong
foundations, and a large dungeon.  His son, King AFOL II had different
priorities, and when the second floor of the castle was constructed, great
attention was paid to the kitchen and the dining hall.  In his daughter's
reign, a distinct gothic influence can be noted, as flying buttresses appear
everywhere..." et cetera.
Which brings to mind another possibility...one person starts by building a
small keep.  Another person adds a wing to it (modifying the original .dat
slightly to add doors).  After that, someone else comes along, and adds
gargoyles everywhere, and an outer wall, and so on.  The main difference here
would be that people would have to be willing to allow their .dats to be
modified by other people.  This could be really neat, as a true evolutionary
castle.  There would, however, need to be some rules or guidelines to avoid
toe-stepping."

Actually, yeah, I think this would be really neat... I think in terms of a
midaeval 'kingdom', the DATville idea works better, but I think that would lead
to smaller castles and structures in general... doing this sounds like it would
lend itself to one HUUUUUUUUGE castle. I'd be curious to do both, actually, and
see what happens... The only real disadvantage to doing the single DAT would be
that only one person can work on it at a time-- but that's a rather small
sacrifice, I'd say :)... It'd work kinda like a jambalaya box!

<silly ridiculous spin-off into wildly crazy and ludicrous idea>
We could have battles online to see who gets command of the castle next! One
ruler overthrows another in vicious combat! The victor take command of the DAT
file, and with it, moulds the new castle to his/her liking! Until one day, that
King/Queen gets overthrown and a new successor is chosen!
</silly ridiculous spin-off into wildly crazy and ludicrous idea>

Anyway, I like idea!
DaveE