 Castle / 18199
Re: Castle = yes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 05:31:52 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Dave Schuler wrote:
   In lugnet.castle, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

   1. As it was said in a recent thread in the Classic-Castle forums about Harry Parter (funny picture was involved, no minifigs were actually hurt), LEGO could be taking the time in Harry Parter... err Potter to recharge their thinking, to ressurect castle after the recent Castle themes, to start over.

I think this is most probably. However, leaving Juniorization can only happen if TLG expects it’s target audience to be patient enough to build a detailed model. For us, thats the prime reason to buy a set, but for most kid fans, it’s playing with sets. That means the time between opening the set and having it built needs to not be too incredibly long. I know that was the concept behind the HP line.

I know that this is an old issue, but it would be nice if TLG took a role as industry leader and worked against the I-want-everything-spoon-fed-now attitude running rampant through the child-marketing industries. Instead, TLG is simply playing to the bottom line (an understandable choice for a corporation, but less than what I’d like from The Toy Of The Millennium).

I think it’s interesting that when our generation was younger, we loved to build things with the sets that had no pre-molded parts and no special characters. We even had to build our own horses for a while. Yet we loved the toy enough to keep at it as we grew up.

The LEGO Corporation used to talk a lot about imagination and giving the child the power to create and control their own worlds. Today they seem to be moving in the opposite direction and only offering toys which permit the child to re-enact someones else’s story. Even the last castle line (Knight’s Kingdom) had a pretty strong storyline, created by the LEGO folks. They told us who were the good guys and who were the bad guys.

On the other hand, we’ve seen the new Designer sets, which seem to be returning to the old philosophy and emphasizing creativity and invention once more. Wouldn’t it be great to see a Designer set filled with lots of plain bricks and castle elements?

Stephen