 Castle / 18190
Re: Castle = yes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 19:39:21 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.castle, Dave Schuler wrote:

I know that this is an old issue, but it would be nice if TLG took a role as
industry leader and worked against the I-want-everything-spoon-fed-now
attitude running rampant through the child-marketing industries.  Instead,
TLG is simply playing to the bottom line (an understandable choice for a
corporation, but less than what I'd like from The Toy Of The Millennium).

I argue that they *have* in fact taken such a role:

**snip of nifty pic of set 4101.**

Sure, now.  And admittedly those sets are darned cool.  But I don't think that
TLG's really ahead of the curve re: industry-leading.  I commend the
improvements in design, but I remain unconvinced that the company that brought
us Jack Stone and Bionicle really transformed itself on its own initiative.  It
would be interesting to see how enthusiastically TLG would have pursued the
Designer paradigm(1) if there were no pressures internal to the construction
brick industry...

Brad emphasised that this is not just a set line. This is a direction that
the company wants things to move in and it's long term. It is precisely what
we've been asking them to do for a very long time.

That's very, very cool, and it's commendable.  But we're still seeing a
corporation sluggishly responding to years of pleading, rather than a beloved
toyline striving to take the initiative in its industry.

     Dave!

(1) I use that word only out of a sense of irony, because I detest corporate
buzzspeak a la "We're adopting a paradigm of proactive synergy."