 Castle / 18188
Re: Castle = yes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 19:21:02 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.castle, Dave Schuler wrote:

   I know that this is an old issue, but it would be nice if TLG took a role as industry leader and worked against the I-want-everything-spoon-fed-now attitude running rampant through the child-marketing industries. Instead, TLG is simply playing to the bottom line (an understandable choice for a corporation, but less than what I’d like from The Toy Of The Millennium).

I argue that they *have* in fact taken such a role:

    4101 Wild Collection
487 elements, 0 figures, US$30, 2003
LEGO > SYSTEM > Designer

Now, they still have to make money so they still may have to pander elsewhere for a while, but DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE the importance of Designer. The directive to do these sets came from the very top and they are throwing marketing muscle behind these to a very very very great extent.

The *entire* focus of the Road Show was “What will you make?”

If that isn’t fighting spoon feeding, what is?

Brad emphasised that this is not just a set line. This is a direction that the company wants things to move in and it’s long term. It is precisely what we’ve been asking them to do for a very long time.

They can’t fight WalMart wanting new product every three months but they CAN make the product better and they have.

I know, I know, I’m a LEGO cheerleader, etc etc... But it’s true.