 Castle / 18193
Re: Castle = yes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 22:30:05 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
   In lugnet.castle, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

   The problem with LOTR and Braveheart is how grotesquely violent they were. I mean, would you want your 1- yr old kid buying toys meant for a R-rated movie? Basing it off a book is that it only appeals to fans of the book, which is not a large group (i’ve never read the Pern books, for example).

Can I go off on a bit of a rant here (not against Lenny, just in general)? When the heck did our society become so centered on movies?!?!?!

I agree with your rant, for the most part. As for the trend, you need to look back to see how TV and media-driven entertainment supplanted other forms of occupying our time over the last 50 years, and how that transformed us into a culture of couch potatoes who want only predigested information (and a lot of it).

Unfortunately, movies and television have become prime cultural currency for the masses. I admit to referencing them a lot myself, and I look down on TV! I don’t look down so much on films, because I think the medium lends itself to a lot deeper and freer artistic expression than television. However, there are some pretty dumb films out there clearly designed for the bottom-feeders.

-Tim