 Castle / 18192
Re: Castle = yes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 21:51:48 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

   The problem with LOTR and Braveheart is how grotesquely violent they were. I mean, would you want your 1- yr old kid buying toys meant for a R-rated movie? Basing it off a book is that it only appeals to fans of the book, which is not a large group (i’ve never read the Pern books, for example).

Can I go off on a bit of a rant here (not against Lenny, just in general)? When the heck did our society become so centered on movies?!?!?! Lord of the Rings has been voted the best book of the 20th century, and it’s been out for 50+ years. Now that someone has decided to make another movie of it (after the animated Bakshi/Rankin-Bass movies of 20 years ago), suddenly anything about LotR is bad because it’s associated with an R-rated movie!?!?! I read that when I was 11, and then again when I was 13, and a bunch of times since, and now I’m buying the books for my nephew.

Okay, so I’m a Tolkien nut, but this isn’t just about Tolkien. Take the X-Files. It was a weekly show for years. Then when it was made into a movie, people said “oh, it has to explain lots of background because all these people have never seen the TV show”. Huh? What person says “Well, I really dislike this genre, so I’m not going to see it when it comes into my living room free every week, but now that it’s in a theater, I’ll suddenly decide I’d like to shell out $8 and go stand in line for it.” Same with Star Trek and ST:TNG.

Or take almost any historical event. We’ve become a society that doesn’t care about history, but if someone made a movie about it, that becomes our whole impression of it--e.g. “I suddenly am an expert on WWII because I’ve seen Saving Private Ryan.”, or “Now that I’ve seen JFK, I have all kinds of opinions on whether Oswald acted alone.”

Or take lots of other movies made from other sources. E.g. Contact is an amazing book, full of insight on science and on faith and on the possibilities of extraterrestrial life and how we might interact with them. The movie was mindless drivel about getting Jodie Foster into bed with Matthew McConahay. Okay, vast oversimplification I reallize, but go read the book and then compare. Of course, what does society see, the book or the movie?

Back to LEGO. Spiderman has been a comic for decades and decades, not to mention various cartoons, a daily newspaper comic strip, the Electric Company for those in my generation, etc. But we get a LEGO license because there’s a movie. Harry Potter is single-handedly turning around the childrens’ book market. Every new book coming out has huge lines of people at the bookstore, with some stores having special midnight openings. But the LEGO line? All about the movies. Even though we’ve got several more books, they won’t release new sets on these until the next movie comes out. Now Lord of the Rings. We can’t release a line, because of the movies. Who cares that it’s one of the top selling books over the past fifty years? We only care about people who watch movies.

Grr.

Okay, I’ll calm down now.

Later, Bruce

P.S. I personally don’t want licences. I’d rather see TLC develop free-form castles without set story lines and let the builders use their own imaginations. Call me an idealistic fool.