 Castle / *17180 (-20)
  Re: Story crafting (was Re: Please read this!

(...) The desired focus by far would probably be event driven. (with a small amount of character thrown in as well.) (...) Okay, I haven't really gone into explanation of those, (technology) although there would be some minor inclusions when it (...) (22 years ago, 23-Dec-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Cool Site Of The Week

(...) I think Avolonnia is an excellent site by far, and the layout is nicely divided into their respective sections. (making navigation quick and easy.) The photos are pretty nice as well. :) However, when do you plan to complete the translation? (...) (22 years ago, 23-Dec-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Story crafting (was Re: Please read this!

(...) Ursula Le Guin has identified the "multiple foci" perspective as the hardest to execute effectively. I'm not sure I agree 100%, but it's definitely tricky to write character sufficiently distinct from one another to allow the reader to believe (...) (22 years ago, 23-Dec-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.publish)

  Story crafting (was Re: Please read this!

(...) What is the desired focus? That something is set in a particular time period does not in and of itself make it milleau... if the characters are what drive the story, it's still character. It's not a forcing per se I don't feel, but a way to (...) (22 years ago, 23-Dec-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.publish)

  The Chronicles of Ikros: Battle of the Dragons

Anthony, I agree with many others here in feeling that "The Chronicles of Ikros" is a superb title that should not be changed. It is a terrific way to describe a long series of stories. However, I think a subtitle is a perfect way to denote separate (...) (22 years ago, 22-Dec-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Cool Site Of The Week

Yes ! My Castle Lego Website has been elected "Cool Lego Site Of The weeb" for December 15-21, 2002. Thanks to all of you that have voted for me. I'm really proud !!! Denix (...) (22 years ago, 23-Dec-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Please read this!

(...) Well, I've got quite a nice list of books to peruse for christmas vacation. (not a bad collection, as that :) However, what if you were trying to fuse story types? For example, let's say you're writing the book in a historic stance, yet it's (...) (22 years ago, 23-Dec-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Please read this!

(...) Actually, Terra Incognita. Nah, it's the dialogue. And by the looks of it, I think I went rather overboard. (...) I'll try to explain these...of course, This should be rather fun. (...) Since Dash is speaking to Skye, he's basically saying (...) (22 years ago, 23-Dec-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.general)

  Re: Please read this!

In lugnet.castle, Leonard Hoffman writes: Great post! (snipped it, but it's worth rereading...) I know some people don't like Orson Scott Card, and some do. But this book of his _How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy_ is chock full of good advice. (...) (22 years ago, 23-Dec-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Please read this!

Hi Matt, Stuff like "terra incognito" isn't the problem. The following: ****** “Hmm…you continue to demean such an epitome principle as rank, yet in your stance, never waiver from its respective boundaries…” Dash spoke, as he continued. “If you are (...) (22 years ago, 23-Dec-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.general)

  Re: Please read this!

(...) Definitely...trying to be original for once, since I noticed the growing collections of fan fiction that people always seem to write. (...) Guess I'm due to read Tolkein's works, then...when writing the dialogue, I attempted to reveal the (...) (22 years ago, 23-Dec-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.general)

  Re: Please read this!

Hi Matt, I too think that it would be a good idea to dive a bit into LOTR. Not, however, to get story/character ideas. You are taking the correct path, IMO, in creating your own world and creatures. The value from LOTR, I believe, will come from the (...) (22 years ago, 22-Dec-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.general)

  Re: Please read this!

"leonard hoffman" <glencaer@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet news:H7JKnC.2o9@lugnet.com... (...) is, (...) plot. (...) a (...) rather (...) I don't agree. Any story giving only the relevant details will feel 'thin'. Some details become relevant just (...) (22 years ago, 22-Dec-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.general)

  Re: Please read this!

(...) Ah, finally more interesting discussion in this thread. :) (...) Yes, I was wondering when someone would eventually state something to that extent...right now I'm looking for rather metaphorical ideas for detail. (something which seems rather (...) (22 years ago, 22-Dec-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.general)

  Re: Please read this!

(...) This is precisely why writing is an artform and not a science. There is no real way to measure exactly when something is too detailed or not enough, and there is always variation in your readers. My advice is to provide only what detail is (...) (22 years ago, 22-Dec-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.general)

  Re: Please read this!

(...) Hmm...I'll probably take a look at it...so many fantasy novels out there, though. (that's why I'm trying to incorporate some sci-fi elements into it. The beginning sections anyway.) (...) Tells you something...did you get bored easily while (...) (22 years ago, 22-Dec-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.general)

  Re: Please read this!

Matt Hein wrote in message ... (...) Nope, nothing to do with Riven. DE wrote two series of 6 books (double trilogies), the first 6 being "The Belgrariad": the central character was Belgarion, King of Riva. Hence the Rivan Codex - there's a lot of (...) (22 years ago, 22-Dec-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.general)

  Re: Please read this!

"Matt Hein" <Pyrokid17@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet news:H7HEoG.n2u@lugnet.com... (...) Maybe because the Silmarillion is so vast (and quite ancient in style), and sketches the creation/world/history background for LOTR - The whole Bilbo + LOTR (...) (22 years ago, 21-Dec-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.general)

  Re: Help me name Ikros!!

(...) I haven't read your book yet, but it sounds like a very good yarn. (...) No, there's to many 'champion' titles out there already. (...) Yes! but forget the caps, it makes it look like an acronym. (...) Nope (who's Garalt anyway?) (...) Uh-uh. (...) (22 years ago, 22-Dec-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Help me name Ikros!!

Anthony- I think an awesome name for it would be Dragonwar or The Dragonwar. This might be the title of a Dragonlance book but I don't think it is. By the way, not to sound completely naive, but what does the gastiel have to do with anything except (...) (22 years ago, 22-Dec-02, to lugnet.castle)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact