 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2488
  Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

Hi I am using it and I am really glad I've found it. But some models (or details) require better rendering, so I use POV-Ray. In POV, pinpointing exact camera_position and camera look_at parameters just by typing coordinates is real pain even when (...) (19 years ago, 2-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) I tried to implement this functionality, but ran into a brick wall. The problem is that L3P doesn't allow for arbitrary camera positioning, so there's no way to convert LDView's arbitrary camera position into an L3P command line. Specifically, (...) (19 years ago, 2-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) I have already implemented support for the sky vector and for camera roll, see (URL) perhaps it would be more convenient to have a -matrix option to directly specify the camera matrix ? I know POV supports the matrix keyword inside the camera. (...) (19 years ago, 3-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) It would definitely be more convenient for me if you had a -matrix option. I'm not sure off the top of my head how to go from my camera matrix to your latitude/longitude/roll (although I'm sure I could probably figure it out). (...) I'll take (...) (19 years ago, 3-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

Thanks to both of you. Just for me, I would be completely satisfied if LDView shows (and exports to clipboard) full 4*4 trafo matrix instead of 3*3 matrix as it does in current version. Then I am able to derive .pov trafo matrix by myself. Small (...) (19 years ago, 4-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) As it happens, the 3x3 matrix that LDView gives you when you do View->Show View Info isn't the camera matrix. It's the rotation matrix applied to the model around the model's centroid. Having said that, I can derive a camera matrix based on (...) (19 years ago, 4-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) One quick note. LDGLite seem to support L3P scene previewing. I've never used it so I cant give any advice one way or the other. -Orion (19 years ago, 4-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) I forgot the URL: (URL) (19 years ago, 4-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) I did some investigation (read: experimentation), and came to the conclusion that I'm not going to be able to produce a camera matrix that POV will accept. The problem is that I use floats in my matrix, and they're not accurate enough to (...) (19 years ago, 6-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) Travis, You could orthogonalise the matrix before writing it out. It's relatively easy to make a routine that will find a 'best' rotation matrix that is perpendicular and very close to the original. That way you don't have to deal with the up, (...) (19 years ago, 6-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) Well, yes, but could you try generating these parameters in stead: location sky look_at angle These should be adequate to fully describe the camera. ldglite uses them (URL) I have already made a -csky option. My impression has always been that (...) (19 years ago, 6-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) I can do that. Unless I'm badly mistaken, my existing up will work fine as a sky vector. (...) Reading between the lines of the descriptions of the various camera settings, it really looks like POV-Ray automatically generates direction, up, (...) (19 years ago, 6-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) Thanks for the offer. It sounds like I can make use of parameters that Lars has already implemented if I just change my outputs slightly, so I think I'll go that route. If you've already got the code or pseudo-code lying around, I'd like to (...) (19 years ago, 6-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) None handy but all I'd do is sort first and then perpendicularise one and use the cross-product for the third. Probably what you do anyway. To be honest I don't see why POVray is being so pedantic about it. It's only going to be accurate (...) (19 years ago, 6-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) I'm not sure what you mean by "sort first". However, I do what you say, and make the right and up perpendicular, then use the cross product to determine the direction. POV-Ray is only pedantic when the "vista buffer" is enabled (which is true (...) (19 years ago, 6-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) By sort first I mean I would find which vector is most-orthogonal (ie. the one whose dot protucts were smallest compared to the other two) and leave it be, then I'd perpendicularise the one whose dot-product was smallest with the first one and (...) (19 years ago, 6-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

In lugnet.cad.ray, Lars C. Hassing wrote: > Well, yes, but could you try generating these parameters in stead: > location > sky > lookat > angle OK, I got it working. Here's my camera: camera #declare ASPECT = 4/3; location < (...) (19 years ago, 9-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)