 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2498
Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 06:35:44 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Lars C. Hassing wrote:
But perhaps it would be more convenient to have a -matrix option
to directly specify the camera matrix ?
I know POV supports the matrix keyword inside the camera.

I did some investigation (read: experimentation), and came to the conclusion
that I'm not going to be able to produce a camera matrix that POV will accept.
The problem is that I use floats in my matrix, and they're not accurate enough
to produce results that POV will accept.  (It complains about things not being
perpendicular.  It won't do this if you manually turn off the Vista buffer, but
I get the impression that doing so will slow rendering down, and disable certain
features.)

I was able to successfully generate a camera with the following settings,
though:

location
direction
up
right
angle

I cheated and made small adjustments to my up and right vectors to force them to
be perpendicular to my direction vector in double precision.  Fortunately, up
and right don't have to be perpendicular to each other, since having all three
vectors be perpendicular in double precision would have been a lot more
difficult.

You already support angle and location.  Is there any chance you can support
command-line specification of the direction, up, and right vectors?

--Travis