Re: Parts Library Posted to ldraw.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 09:35:32 GMT

Steve Bliss <blisses@worldnet.att.net> writes:

BUT, take a look at <http://www.ldraw.org/legal/>.  It plainly states that
the terms around the original LDraw package:

ldraw.org is a collaborative effort by users of the LDraw software
program created by James Jessiman. Since James' passing, the
original LDraw software package remains exclusively the
intellectual property of James' immediate family.

The original parts library is part of the 'original LDraw software',
remains the IP of the Jessimans, and must distributed under their terms.

Scanning down a bit in the text, we find:

Content © 1999 ldraw.org. All content created specifically for
ldraw.org, including but not limited to images, HTML code, and
original unique content falls under the OpenContent Licence
(OPL). Individual programs made available for download from this
site are subject to their individual respective licenses and are
used by permission.

It can be argued whether submitted part-files fall under the umbrella of
'content created specifically for ldraw.org' or not.  I'd say that they do,
at least until we have better (ie, more specific) legal terms.

I still think this is far fetched.  The fact that the LDraw library
and updates can be downloaded from ldraw.org is merely "coincidental"
in my opinion.  They used to be downloadable from Terry Keller's
geocities homepage, and some time in the future they may be
downloadable from other web sites and/or methods as well.  The move to
ldraw.org was beyond the control of the submitting parts authors, so I
wouldn't say that the licence applies to the submitted parts.

Fredrik